Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I stumbled into a pretty decent ST170 haul from the local JY. I did a small amount of research and it doesnt seem like i'll be able to easily use the getrag from the st170 because of different frequencies for start up?

However, with the VCT/IMRC disabled and a tune... how feasible is it to run an SVT motor on a normal Zetec ECU/harness with the MTX-75 mated up?

For those interested in the haul:

Also, shout out to this guy for re-creating the aux gauge thread.
https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/svt-interior-mods-upgrades/261392-how-use-svt-gauge-cluster-non-svt-focus.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
with everything you'd more than likely have to do to make it run properly you'd be better off just finding an SVT. they're not the most expensive cars anymore, seen a couple locally for $1,500 in running, driving condition, with very few cosmetic defects.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
You basically just detuned a SVT engine into a normal zetec, it won't like that. Kinda silly really, the VCT and intake mods are 80% of the power there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Still not a bad haul, though. A lot of that stuff you can put onto the zetec and get a bit more performance out of it. Manifold, cat, and flexpipe from the svt are an upgrade, just swap the dipstick and PS hose for proper fitment. Shocks and brake setup for sure and rear sway bar, too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not so worried about the detuned part... wont be hard to ziptie the IMCR into whatever position i want it to be in (short or long). still have the bump in compression, better head and if my memory serves correctly the cams were a little better too? or was that only because of the VCT?

main thing is i'd rather just ship the car back with the st170 motor in and leave the 2.0 Zetec here. I think i have the old euro harness laying around so i might see what sensors do/do not work. if thats missing i can always plug the harness from this into the one on the car and see if it works

being friends with the guys who run the junkyards around here has its dividends, everything pictured for 180 euro

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, the old euro harness is MIA in my black hole of a basement.

I ended up taking the harness off of the ST170 motor and checking it with the motor on the car.. Everything lines up except the cam sensor, fuel pressure regulator clip and the temp sensor. TPS, IAC, oil pressure, main clip, etc are all fine and clip into the old zetec motor.

Since all the euro stuff is return fuel systems and i dont feel like running a return system ill be using the OG USDM zetec fuel rail; maybe use the st170 injectors? i'll have to check to see if SCT has the st170 injector info built into their software, if so ill do it otherwise i dont feel like scaling injectors. that means ill be splicing the zetec fuel pressure regulator clip from the old harness into the st170 harness. sure, slightly sketch, but the colors of the wiring are exactly the same... send it?

i did do a quick 'for science' test of the st170 harness on the std zetec motor. plugged in the main clip, fuel injectors, TPS and IAC only; then tried to start the car. thing fired right up with 0 issue, idled and rev'd (unloaded) as if it had all the sensors plugged in.

havent checked the power steering pump to see if the one in the car and the one from the st170 are the same/interchangeable but im sure they are. everything else looks to be interchangeable.

odd coming back to this site or a forum in general after such a long hiatus

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
To much work , for less time you can get the same performance from your Zetec

Tom
Not cheaper though.

200 for everything I got was a steal and a half. Recaros, engine, brakes, wheels, exhaust and other small interior bits

·
FF Affiliate
30,630 Posts
Not cheaper though.

200 for everything I got was a steal and a half. Recaros, engine, brakes, wheels, exhaust and other small interior bits
You got a killer deal for sure but in the end it would be cheaper to pull 155 whp from your Zetec then the SVT swap

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You got a killer deal for sure but in the end it would be cheaper to pull 155 whp from your Zetec then the SVT swap

Tom
How so?

So far I only need a clutch alignment tool and a vct delete kit for a small bump in power

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,267 Posts

Tom
How so?

So far I only need a clutch alignment tool and a vct delete kit for a small bump in power

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using FF Mobile
Worth a shot. Please report back when finished.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
question for tom since im still planning on pushing forward with this deal lol

the SVT VCT solenoid, if I leave it unplugged or give it constant 12V power, would i still even need the VCT delete kit? dont think i understand the VCT beyond oil pressure moves it around. does it need constant oil pressure to keep it in one spot or is the cam locked in place if its off?

the massive VCT delete kit looks like a shim and a blank pulley from some dudes in the UK... https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=175158

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You cant just do 12v to it , Voltage is always changing best to delete it in your case with what your trying to do

Tom
That's a fair point, I'll get it squared away then. Didnt want to wait for shipping but I guess itll allow me some spare time to get any other details worked out

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,267 Posts
You cant just do 12v to it , Voltage is always changing best to delete it in your case with what your trying to do

Tom
That's a fair point, I'll get it squared away then. Didnt want to wait for shipping but I guess itll allow me some spare time to get any other details worked out

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using FF Mobile
On the duratec 2.0 to 2.5 swap you have to change the intake camshaft and sprocket to a non vvt. Being that the SVT had a hot cam in it from the factory, the stock zetec cam and sprocket will suck even more power.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Small update, power steering pump is the same and according to auto zones website vehicle fitment thing, so are the crank sensors.

I'm about to go to lunch with some friends and I'm trying to think of all the sensors on the motor. 'Works' is a but of a loose term but I'm confident I wont run into major issues with that. This is also gonna be the hodge podge of a US fuel rail - ST170 motor harness and the rest of the US wiring, ECU and MTX75 trans.

Main clip - works
Crank - works per autozone website (part #s match)
Cam - definitely wont but not req'd
TPS - works
IACV - works
Fuel rail - works, zetec will be used
Injector clips - works
Fuel pressure regulator - modifications req'd, prob work
Alternator - works
Temp sensor - works
Coil pack - should work, if not the standard zetec one will
Power steering pump sensor - zetec one will be used, works
Front O2 - works, prob zetec one will be used
Oil pressure sensor - should work, if it doesnt I'll add an aftermarket gauge
Knock sensor- should work, not req'd
MAF - should work, if not Zetec one will be used

That's all of the 'important' ones I can think of at the moment. Anyone think of ones I'm missing?

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
small update

bought cam timing kit, VCT delete and a clutch alignment tool. week and a half until delivery at the soonest

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Parts at the post office!

Vct and clutch will be started on soon

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
parts were not at the post office, but showed up this week. Not sure how my schedule works out until im stateside once again, not planning on swapping motors this close to leaving. maybe if i get a couple weeks off with nothing to do i might, chances of that are slim tho

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ended up doing a 2-3-4 pull on the way home from work without realizing that there had been a slow water leak. Euro Zetec block is now toast, well not entirely, just lots of blow by coming out of the crank case. With no water on 10lbs of boost and completely stock spec spark plugs I'm surprised it still runs tbh

ST170 swap and all new coolant hoses will be the replacement plan. I don't actually want to blow the ST170 motor...
I should have everything required to complete the swap sitting in a box somewhere ready to be unpacked still just gotta find it and do the ol swaparoo.

I don't remember my exact plan of how this was going to work I think it was:
-ST170 motor
-US harness and fuel rail
-VCT delete
-Leave Cam sensor unplugged
-ST170/SVT thermostat housing, keep the 180* T-Stat
-Zetec standard clutch and flywheel
-Tuning in SCT software

1 - 20 of 40 Posts