Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys a little help please. I was going to mod my 01 with the ford SVT suspension kit and a few things. Then I decided to sell and buy a SVT and save the wrenching. Then I saw on a test drive ( 93 octane only ). So now I am back to building a car. So I was thinking, if I am going to buy good gas why not get more bang for the buck. So my impending question is. Which is better to turbo, the Zetec or the Duratec. If I am going to do it might as well build the best.

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
You already have the Zetec and they do very well with a turbo , Both have there limitations with the stock engine at about the same HP

What are your HP goals and what are you planning to do with the car ? street , race etc ?

Tom

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
The Svt has higher compression. More power with less psi

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If 93 Octane scared you away ... you have no place doing anything but driving what you have right now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
High octane is not the issue. But is I am point to buy good gas might as well have more HP, Right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You already have the Zetec and they do very well with a turbo , Both have there limitations with the stock engine at about the same HP

What are your HP goals and what are you planning to do with the car ? street , race etc ?

Tom
I do not know what is possible with this little motor. I wouldn't mind 250-300. Do not see spending the money if not. It is a daily driver, work commuter and so forth. So I still want the dead nuts reliability that goes with a daily driver. Oh and thanks for the replies guys.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
High octane is not the issue. But is I am point to buy good gas might as well have more HP, Right?

I'm really confused here.

First you wanted suspension. Rather than instal the suspension you wanted a SVT.
Then the note of it taking higher Octane scared you away.
And now you're back to your same boring car, haven't done the suspension and want more power because if you have to use better gas you may as well make more power?

I'm just confused because the SVT has the suspension you wanted and has more power from the get-go.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm really confused here.

First you wanted suspension. Rather than instal the suspension you wanted a SVT.
Then the note of it taking higher Octane scared you away.
And now you're back to your same boring car, haven't done the suspension and want more power because if you have to use better gas you may as well make more power?

I'm just confused because the SVT has the suspension you wanted and has more power from the get-go.
I'm also confused where the duratec comes into play

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys a little help please. I was going to mod my 01 with the ford SVT suspension kit and a few things. Then I decided to sell and buy a SVT and save the wrenching. Then I saw on a test drive ( 93 octane only ). So now I am back to building a car. So I was thinking, if I am going to buy good gas why not get more bang for the buck. So my impending question is. Which is better to turbo, the Zetec or the Duratec. If I am going to do it might as well build the best.
Sorry guys, I do not understand what all the confusion is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
250 HP goal works for any of the three cars you mentioned, which is "best" to start with is an open question depending on budget/goals overall.

SVT starts with more power, better handling/brakes - but if you're going to change most of that in the end it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
250 HP goal works for any of the three cars you mentioned, which is "best" to start with is an open question depending on budget/goals overall.

SVT starts with more power, better handling/brakes - but if you're going to change most of that in the end it doesn't matter.
I didn't start with an open question but thanks for the reply.

I essentially ask what was better to build a Zetec or Duratek.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok let me apologize and try to clear things up a little. first of all I was going to build my 01 a little and figured out that it would essentially be a SVT. I went and test drove an SVT with the intention of trading to save on so much useless wrenching. Then I saw the 93 only sticker and decided against trading because I drive this thing daily and did not want the extra expense of high octane gas. But I want a little toy so I have decided to build a little toy hotrod. Now with all that said if I am going to build something which responds best to building/boosting, the ZETEC or DURATEC. So I hope this is as clear as mud (LOL).

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
Same answer as before , You already have the Zetec and they do very well with a turbo , Both have there limitations with the stock engine at about the same HP

If 250 is your goal both have a HP limit at about 230-250 at the wheels

Tom

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Sorry guys, I do not understand what all the confusion is!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Either or motor is great for turboing= d-tech or zetec. I prefer the 23 d-tech.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same answer as before , You already have the Zetec and they do very well with a turbo , Both have there limitations with the stock engine at about the same HP

If 250 is your goal both have a HP limit at about 230-250 at the wheels

Tom
Thanks for the input. How high can I go with upgraded parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh and by the way guys I have the gold sedan ex. That is why I am considering trading and another reason for the question about the 2.3.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Then I saw the 93 only sticker and decided against trading because I drive this thing daily and did not want the extra expense of high octane gas.

I think we perfectly understood that. You don't seem to be understanding what we're saying ...
Any turbo'd car is going to require premium fuel, and on top of that you just spent $3,000+ on turboing it.
So this excuse you have about "added expense" just doesn't fly.

To be honest, if the extra $100/yr in premium fuel scares you, I don't see you plunging headlong into a turbo car with even higher cost of ownerships.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not an excuse at all. Hell I give up. I thought I re-explained my initial thoughts but I must not have.

The 93 was not a scare but an eye opener to the fact that if I was going to have to buy good gas then why not pour it into more horse power.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts