Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What controls endplay on a zetec engine? is it just the #3 bearing or is there something else?
the reason I ask is my #3 bearing is destroyed and also the crank on the thrust face.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,520 Posts
The thrust surface on the crank is the only thing that controls end play. Get another crank.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a spare, but this thing was at the machine shop 5000k ago and the crank was polished, and now there is over 1/8 inch of endplay, probably more
not only is every bearing surface in the engine damaged but i fear the eagle rods are now out of round on the big end as i was able to see movement on the pistons when i tore it apart yesterday
I don't have any theory's as to how it happened but i do have a clutchmasters fx400 clutch. could that have caused this much damage ?
at least the bores and pistons are still good, its barely broken in and you can still see most of the honing marks
oh well back to the machine shop to see what they say.
IMG_9925.jpg IMG_9924.jpg IMG_9923.jpg IMG_9922.jpg

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Looks like clearance issues and or incorrect oil pressure.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
Something seriously not right. Endplay is indeed controlled by #3 bearing and crank.

·
FF Affiliate
30,871 Posts
When you push the clutch your putting a LOT of load on the thrust stock Clutch the bigger you go with the Clutch the more thrust load you could have

Its unusual to see this happen but I have seen about a dozen or so over the years on the Zetec and about the same on the Duratec

A couple things
Are you bad to ride the clutch , rest your foot on it ?
The Clutch you have can you confirm your slave bearing is fully releasing ?

Tom

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
X2 to all of that. Wondering if some of those thrust bearings have the thrust on only one half, definitely not the better idea. I may be simply stirring up garbage in my brain. Does the lower main cap have a register to hold the thrust even with the top half? To keep both halves dead even.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you push the clutch your putting a LOT of load on the thrust stock Clutch the bigger you go with the Clutch the more thrust load you could have

Its unusual to see this happen but I have seen about a dozen or so over the years on the Zetec and about the same on the Duratec

A couple things
Are you bad to ride the clutch , rest your foot on it ?
The Clutch you have can you confirm your slave bearing is fully releasing ?

Tom
Yes the slave is fully releasing and I'm not riding the clutch.

What should the endplay min/max be for a zetec crank, i can't see to find that in the book I have?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

What should the endplay min/max be for a zetec crank, i can't see to find that in the book I have?
.0035 to ,0102

·
FF Affiliate
30,871 Posts

I wouldnt go less then .005 and the MAX if the engine is running really doesnt matter , If the crank is out and there is ANY WEAR then junk it , No way I would use a crank with even .020 wear

Shim the crank sensor , it doesnt hurt anything and I have done it a few times for customers and there still running

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts