Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rods and pistons do people usually run with here? What reseller do you use? Just wondering what people are running out there...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just curious. It would be for Turbo or SC. It looks like the cosworth and crwer rods are the best ones out there. The eagles don't seem to be very good... JE Pistons are usually pretty good, I wonder if thier Zetec pistons hold up to the name.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
well crower is better than cosworth the eagle will hold up to 380 hp/ the crowers will hold a otn of hp and gobs of torque. and yes the he pistons hold up to there name.

so crower and je wil be the best set up.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't CODESVT running Eagles in his powerworks SVT? I one of the rod bolts came undone on him and I don't think he was running even close to 380 flywheel. I'd probably get either crower or cosworth so I would never have to worry about anything going on down there.

And good to here about the JEs holding up.

Thanks for the info guys!

Oh btw, what resellers do you usually use?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends on what your goals are with the new engine.

I asked the same question when I was doing research on my engine build...Then I saw that people were safely pulling 250+whp on the stock internals and i figured since I never plan to hit that in my d-driver I figured I'd save the cash. Search some more and Im sure you will come to the same conclusion.
peas,
-Jeff

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely know what you mean. The SVT shortblock is supposed to be pretty strong but it still worries me sometimes when I think about boosting it. I recently acquired an Eaton M90 as a model but if I were to put it on the SVT I think it would be best to go with around 9:1 compression and a better bottom end to handle whatever boost I want to go with in the future.

It's all just a thought at this point. I am just searching around to see what and where people get thier internals from.

·
Registered
862 Posts
We have a really nice piston for the Zetec. Diamond makes our custom pistons. We use either Crower or eagle rods. Depends on your power output.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
project2point said:
well crower is better than cosworth the eagle will hold up to 380 hp/ the crowers will hold a otn of hp and gobs of torque. and yes the he pistons hold up to there name.

so crower and je wil be the best set up.
yikes..over quoting the eagles there...no way eagles will reliably handle 380hp ...300 at most for a daily driver...but the crowers are good for probably 700 hp lol, cant get much better than those, and price wise, its not so much of a step...if you are going to dd this thing, i would still sugest je pistons, eagle rods, and boost at 15 psi...the eagle rods can handle that, just not anything tramendous

and the svt block imo is a waste because your just buying a slightly better rod...nothing more..which is why so many svt members here seem to have fried pistons instead of throwing rods...they are probably just a smig less than eagle

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yel900rr- Those diamonds are forged right? Do you carry JE pistons too?

Well I don't think I my SVT shortblock is a waste because that's what my car came with. If I were to build this engine I would probably just get a standard zetec from a junkyard and build the shortblock. Then I'd grab my top-end and put it on.

I like your build but I would be willing to spend the extra few dollars to get the crowers or cosworth rods over the Eagles. If I were do it I would want this car to be 150% reliable and I don't like cutting corners. I think the better rods would be a good investment no?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
If I were to build this engine I would probably just get a standard zetec from a junkyard and build the shortblock. Then I'd grab my top-end and put it on.
i've heard that the svt is much more reliable than the standard zetec becuase the svt has oil squirters, and a couple other things...if anything i'd try to to build up the one u have now...or try to get ur hands on an svt bottom end and build that up

also, to put the svt head on a zetec bottom u will need more than just the head since the svt has variable timing...u will need the computer and a couple other parts to make it all work...im thinking why not just put the zetec head on the svt bottom end, that way u can get new cams to compliment ur stronger bottom

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
yes
massivespeedsystem.com carries them i am also getting some for my nitrous motor!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Old_Grendel- Good point about the cams but I like the SVT cams with the VCT. I could pick up some more aggressive ones from ZXTuner if I wanted... The plan here would be to prep a badass shortblock and then swap it into my SVT. I would be using my current top-end on this new shortblock.

·
Registered
958 Posts
o i c...i thought that all the cams for the svt had to come from europe or something...read uber $$$...and besides, the vct doesnt help performance...it helps emissions

anyways, good luck and post up some pics when ur done

1 - 19 of 19 Posts