Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So theres not alot of info in this section honestly. I thought i was going to read articles and articles and articles of knowledge that i couldnt possibly comprehend all at once. But really theres not a whole lot here.

So will a zetec engine fit up to an SVT transmission? Is there alot more extra work involved than just swapping in a manual zetec?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would not do a svt tranny. I have driven both and prefer the MTX75. Plus there is the cost and availability of parts like the clutch and flywheel to factor in.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
Many have done that swap with mixed results. A simple search would pop up quite a few.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I've done it, totally different feel to the thing; and I love it! I raced with both transmissions and prefer the 6spd.

The PCM didn't need a whole lot of coaxing and besides picking up the requisite SVT pieces (axles, shifter cables, tri-ax shifter assembly, or tri-ax short-throw while yer at it) only tuning and odds and ends would be needed. I've had the setup for 4 years now and availability on replacement axles has become quite a pickle. There are no CV boot kits for those axles after you tear one, there's no service pack with new gears and synchronizers if you happen to grind one, you can't even pick up SVT side skirts at a dealer anymore!
I had a clutchmasters staged clutch and lightweight flywheel to put in with the used trans, and it runs great... the headache is in tracking down maintenance-type parts. There was an issue with the shifter cables popping of the linkage on the trans case when I'd hard shift, but $4.37 worth of hardware from 'Tha Depot, and a friends help in 'engineering' a solution has kept that under control.

MTX75s are abundant and fixes are easily sourced, the MT285 6-spd gear ratio feels sportier (in my opinion) but the parts are where the fun is! I've been saving to get another one, just to bag/store it, for when I need stuff later... These forums are the place to find the trans if your really serious about getting one; they've been selling between $450-600 here. PM me if you have any specific questions.

·
Banned
167 Posts
The most fun part about all of this is that there is no provision that i have found in the wiring harness under the dash for a neutral safety switch, unlike the ZX2 that has it just hanging in there. Ford had a great idea and then said lets change it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts