Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a MF 49231 converter to replace my factory unit and staged it up yesterday. The upper flange fit good, the support tabs were on spot, but the rear or lower flange was about an 1" too high jamming up into the oil pan while changing the flange angle as well, and not clearing the engine bracket that supports the connection to the flex pipe. The car is automatic trans, Code 4F27E and I have photos.

As far as installation goes, I bolted it up first to the exhaust header, left the bolts a little loose,
connected the EGR tube, then removed the wrap around bracket below, then finally had to remove the flex pipe support bracket system because the end flange

I was wondering if anybody else has ran into this?
Would love to run this unit, maybe I'll pickup 3 or 4 HP from the wider pipe diameter.
I called the company and the support was quite sure the product is perfect in fit and that perhaps I ordered the wrong part.
Suggested numbers were 49231, and 49005 which looks like it has even more angle at the very end.

I'm thinking maybe pickup a pacesetter 324938. It seems be shaped the same as the factory unit, will utilize the nice brackets Ford provided, and supports the heat shield bolts.

Y Axis, Jammed into oil pan. There should be an inch more of space, so the bracket fits.

Where it should be, the bottom flange is the flex FSWERK flex pipe. If I push the flex pipe up, the angle changes and creates a big gap at the top.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do mean by turn it over?

The front bolted up nice, the EGR pipe fit and connected, the tabs welded on the converter fell into place.
I was wondering if the the 49 state version is slightly different compared to the CARB version, but I think they are the same. The pictures in the previous thread is the rear flange with these pictures, same staging operation

The EGR tube fitted up good

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that it is made wrong. I sent it back yesterday.

A muffler shop would not touch it because the unit had it's CARB EO rescinded recently.

There is only 1 direct fit unit left in the state that has a valid EO number left, one made by Walker or Federal Mogul. But the problem with that one is that it hangs off the exhaust manifold and doesn't have a engine mount to assist in support in case you hit a pothole or go off-roading.

I'll play ball with CARB and see what the referee says I can do. Perhaps I can get a universal CARB approved 3 stage cat custom fabricated and get a personal EO for it. In the mean time I'll see if I can clean up my factory unit with soap, ammonia soaking.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must say in preparing for the new CAT at 109K miles ...

Ran fuel cleaner for about 2 weeks, then
I cleaned up the intake side of the cylinder head, and replaced the intake manifold gaskets, ICT solenoid, ICT gasket, cylinder head temp sensor, knock sensor and put a set of remanufactured CM5051 fuel injectors in, and replaced the spark plugs and put a new valve cover gasket on. Did a throttle body scrub as well and replaced the gasket. The next week I hit the exhaust side of the cylinder head and replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, cat seal/gasket and O2 sensors, realigned my exhaust system.

The engine really came alive, and I was shocked. I have to be careful now on the gas pedal. My old lazy engine is really fast and responsive now. The new parts were really cheap, guess they dropped in price again this December at Rock Auto.

I'll see if I can get the CAT cleaned up more now and work on upgrading the computer to a newer version so I can flash it, and then contact the tuner guy here about buying a tune and the flash unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts