Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to buy the Mishimoto radiator for my car which has an automatic transmission.
Mishimoto Radiator

But I remember the transmission has fluid hoses for cooling, and I can't remember if the hoses go into the radiator or go into a separate unit.
I was looking at the pictures on Rock Auto and I just see one extra connector on the automatic version.
2003 FORD FOCUS 2.0L L4 DOHC Radiator | RockAuto

Just curious if anyone has some experience with this.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trans cooler is external or was on my Zetec

Tom
Guess I should jack up the car and take a close look again.

Mishimoto says they make the radiator. It's a copy of the stock design using similar materials.
A rep did a cross check for me and says manual transmission only.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
You MUST have two holes for a cooler tap into rad but zetec used external air cooled only like Tom said, there are no lines to the rad. If the one takeoff you saw was close to top then it is a vent going to the plastic bottle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up buying the Denso for automatic on RockAuto.
I can see how the auto version has those front drop tabs that hold the trans cooler.
If I had mad fabrication skills and a metal shop, I would attempt to customized something better.

Did start the flush process yesterday using Thermocure, so that should finish up next weekend.
Now I just need to figure out how to fast flush the system. Thinking about taking off the Thermostat housing and bottom engine coolant hose and running tap water till clear, and doing the same with the heater core and radiator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts