Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i personally think that they look half way decent, but my question(s) is, can they be installed even if i have a body kit, plus is installation a pain or is professional required. i've never owned these before and just like to get a few opinoins on them...[thumb]

·
NY's Most Wanted
1,036 Posts
well, i personally don't have a pair, and right now there is only one company that makes high-quality ones. www.Aerogear.net

installation is somewhat simple, but there are a few bolts in very tight places, and these must be removed to remove the fenders. Personally, i would take it to a professional to have them do it. If you do take the car to a pro, ask them if you can stand by and see how they do it. I'm not sure what the pro will say though, because if he does let you watch, he's just giving you a reason to not come anymore...

Also if you decide not to get the Z3 fenders, you could always try the carbon fiber OEm fenders from C-Wings. here's a link to the carbon fenders, I believe i requested them manufactured.
http://www.importfan.com/product.asp?0=0&1=0&3=5217

·
Registered
232 Posts
Theres also a few other types of fenders out there for the focus now, and even if you go to cervinis.com they have some fender vents that use your stock focus fenders (dont ask i have no clue how they work, i just know they look cool as hell)

Fenders are easy. Just make sure you have a good socket set and a full saturday/sunday and a second set of hands.

Its pretty simple, you just simply need to find the bolts and unbolt it. You will have to remove certain parts/components from the engine bay that are attached to them, but thats quite simple as well.

I changed the fenders on my 92 blazer, by myself it took me saturday and half a sunday. If i had a second set of hands to help hold back wires and stuff, would easily be a one day job with a decent set of sockets and a screwdriver.

·
NY's Most Wanted
1,036 Posts
steel and fiberglass are very different.

Fiberglass is made from... ummm, lesee here... glass fibers... lol. so, basically when you crash the parts will shatter.

steel bends.

carbon fiber is stronger, and kevlar is even stronger, and carbon/kevlar is way too strong yet very lightweight. in fact a carbon fiber toilet bowl (not kidding, man) weighs just 10.9 lbs...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well think of it this way, if you buy steel, it dents real easy, fiberglass fenders wont.

However, If you have carbon fiber or fiberglass and something hits them HARD, it will crack and shatter. Steel can be bent back.

Also, steel is heavy. If you want to gain a little bit engine wise, Fiberglass is better, but carbon fiber is even better.

Strength wise in an accident

Steel > Fiberglass > Carbon Fiber

Carbon fiber is NOT strong, well it IS, but you need it to be REALLY thick, and the carbon fiber fenders you buy wont be thick, they will be like a carbon fiber hood, and those crack reeeallll easy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey gthang, i think i like those better....plus Reiger raised a good point about denting.....the SLRs would look better w/ my body kit too [thumb]

·
Registered
232 Posts
Only thing you should think about is fitiment. How well they fit to your body without having to ding them with a hammer to get theim to fit, are they crooked.

Matrix racing is known for its crappy alignment as much as APC is known for its pos parts.

If you buy from matrix, you might get lucky and get a good set, or you might get unlucky and get a set that you will have to fix slightly or deal with.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm, well; do you think i shouild find a website that carries the SLRs thats not Matrix. cause you're right, they are not known for having a good name

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you really like them take the chance. If you dont have alot of money, i wouldnt chance it and go with the aerogears.

Like i said, check out Cervinis.com. They have some cool fenders as well, and they dont actually REPLACE the fender. Its a mod to it, and fairly easy from what i understand and its only 100 bucks.

·
NY's Most Wanted
1,036 Posts
well, besides the Matrix SLR Fenders in the Focus application pic, aren't really the exact Focus pair. I would suggest calling the company or emailing them for a pic of the actual focus fenders. this way, i won't be disapointed when the fenders arrive and the don't fit...

But if you do email and request pics and you get a receive a response with the pics, please post it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts