Focus Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I'm pretty partial to lowered trucks. This was my baby before my step son totaled it. Though it spent some time lifted, I liked it better in sport truck mode. I actually normally ran it with a little rake, but I had the rear aired down in these pics for extra lows.

Awesome! Always loved Rangers. Yours looked great man!

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
seen a few of them at the ring last time i went, look a LOT better in motion than standing still or on a screen.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For you older guys (like me) who remember the original was done with marionettes...The owner is obviously a fan.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I raced one of these through Chicago traffic.. it was fun..

some like 80 year old guy with a younger (probably early 30s?) gurl in the passenger seat.. i kept trying to get up along side him forever, then when i finally did, i saw his passenger and realized why he was trying to stay infront of everyone.. [vommit] .. she was oranger than snooki from jersey shore..

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Dont know if i shared this with yall yet, but i count this as a win and have been rebuilding it since the day it came home.

She started her life in West Germany during the soviet block years and was sent off to be sold in France during the year 1978. I have no clue how many owners its had or it true mileage. Its odometer only goes to 99,999 kilometers which is not that far (~60k miles). She sat in a barn somewhere in France when a couple of Classic Car collectors/re-builders/salesman pulled her out and traveled back into Germany with her on a trailer. I guess they decided they couldn't make a profit on this guy or just needed the capital for something else so up on ebay-kleinanzeigen it went listed at 2400 euro. I liked the car, it looked straight and rust free so I asked to look at it. Here's a tip for y'all when buying a car. Go with the max amount of cash in hand that you're willing to part with for the car with it already in your pocket. Anyways i look at it and see no major issues i couldn't get over, for me that's body work. I suck at body work and I absolutely hate doing it, mechanical issues i can get over/fix.
I ask what his bottom line is, there is a severe communication limitation so google translate is brought out and he write on the windshield "2200" and says "zweiundzwanzig."
Too much for me, I couldnt swing that on this car so I say no and low ball him knowing he could tell me to get lost and it would be all over for me then.
On my phone i write "1500" and explain thats too much money as well as i could.
Him and his buddy look at each other, discuss a little bit and say 'absolutely not, 1800 that's final.'
I ask to speak to my wife since she's the one really wanting an older car to see if she's ok with that. I guess they were afraid to lose a sale so they offered to deliver the car. Done deal, saves me the tow fee and is swing-able for me.

Full front suspension rebuilt including the steering rack and all arms w/ bushings, some rear end work and yea. Oh replaced the windshield myself, if this country charged reasonable prices to replace these things i'd have gladly paid them to do it. However for my first try and 5 hours of struggle i think the new window replacement well worth saving 200-300 on installation (windshield was 269 euro).

After the replacement of those few things I turned towards getting her to run right. After a little distributor problems and some fresh gas she runs like a charm... for a bit.

That's when i figured out why she was parked for awhile, no compression on cylinder 2 (10psi) and kinda low across the board but I didnt know that since information on these old opel OHV engines isnt as readily available as say these cars (foci).

So the motor came out and i tore the sucker down. Both compression rings on cylinder 2 literally, and i mean literally in the literal sense, crumbled out when the piston was removed. The top ring on all cylinders was damaged somehow, either split in half or little ends removed or both. Luckily i saw no horrible damage on any of the pistons ringlands but that doesnt mean there are no cracks, gotta clean up and check for those.

Block is off to the machine shop for a basic deck/hone, the crank is there as well getting polished and measured to ensure its within spec, run on sentences are great for your health so ill add the head is getting a deck and checked for straightness.

I pick all those up on friday and I'll get measurements to see what size bearings/rings to get for the rebuild. Since it's all apart i found a kit that covers all the gaskets and ill be putting in new ones everywhere.

That's a decent wrap so here she is when she was running and had temp plates as well as how it sits now. Hopefully she'll be up to the task of daily driving with a few more bushings, minor rust removal and an undercoating.

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #232

·
Registered
148 Posts
You are in DE currently?
1800€ for Ascona is too much... should went with Senator, or if you like coupes Opel Manta or Monza, Commodore...
Opel was very good up until 1990' and it is bullshit ever since then...
General Motors shut down Daewoo/Chevrolet branch of Opel and sold Opel to Peugeot this year.

Poslano sa mog SM-G920F koristeći Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Take a look at this transformation...
Opel Kadett 55hp - upgrade to 316hp :)
This has been done by a member of our local Opel club 10 years ago but its a memorable thing :)

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
There wasn't another classic car in the area that didn't have rust issues like this one.

Every mini, Fiat, puegot, Opel, Ford, you name it, had missing floor chunks, fenders rocker panels etc. In the price range I was looking at.

Rebuilding a motor is easy, hard part is getting parts. Germany is not the place to modify cars, worse than California from my buddies who live there. Besides the pictures show how cool an ascona can be while a senator looks ugly as sin imho.
I'm not worried about the performance of it if that was the attraction, I wanted something that I could rebuild from the ground up and something that very few have in the States.

Also, if the ascona isn't that cool why are we praising a kadett? The kadett c, manta b and ascona b are basically the same car?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
o.k. maybe I was bit direct and unclear, sorry for that.
Simple reason-Asconas are kind of regular here, every other household had one so not considered some special classic... Sedans like Senator on the other hand are/were rare cars. Also coupes like Monza (basically Senator coupe), and Manta...
From US point of view, I understand Asconas are rare also :)
I wish you have plenty of fun completing the Ascona, no doubt it will look good !!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dont know if i shared this with yall yet, but i count this as a win and have been rebuilding it since the day it came home.

She started her life in West Germany during the soviet block years and was sent off to be sold in France during the year 1978. I have no clue how many owners its had or it true mileage. Its odometer only goes to 99,999 kilometers which is not that far (~60k miles). She sat in a barn somewhere in France when a couple of Classic Car collectors/re-builders/salesman pulled her out and traveled back into Germany with her on a trailer. I guess they decided they couldn't make a profit on this guy or just needed the capital for something else so up on ebay-kleinanzeigen it went listed at 2400 euro. I liked the car, it looked straight and rust free so I asked to look at it. Here's a tip for y'all when buying a car. Go with the max amount of cash in hand that you're willing to part with for the car with it already in your pocket. Anyways i look at it and see no major issues i couldn't get over, for me that's body work. I suck at body work and I absolutely hate doing it, mechanical issues i can get over/fix.
I ask what his bottom line is, there is a severe communication limitation so google translate is brought out and he write on the windshield "2200" and says "zweiundzwanzig."
Too much for me, I couldnt swing that on this car so I say no and low ball him knowing he could tell me to get lost and it would be all over for me then.
On my phone i write "1500" and explain thats too much money as well as i could.
Him and his buddy look at each other, discuss a little bit and say 'absolutely not, 1800 that's final.'
I ask to speak to my wife since she's the one really wanting an older car to see if she's ok with that. I guess they were afraid to lose a sale so they offered to deliver the car. Done deal, saves me the tow fee and is swing-able for me.

Full front suspension rebuilt including the steering rack and all arms w/ bushings, some rear end work and yea. Oh replaced the windshield myself, if this country charged reasonable prices to replace these things i'd have gladly paid them to do it. However for my first try and 5 hours of struggle i think the new window replacement well worth saving 200-300 on installation (windshield was 269 euro).

After the replacement of those few things I turned towards getting her to run right. After a little distributor problems and some fresh gas she runs like a charm... for a bit.

That's when i figured out why she was parked for awhile, no compression on cylinder 2 (10psi) and kinda low across the board but I didnt know that since information on these old opel OHV engines isnt as readily available as say these cars (foci).

So the motor came out and i tore the sucker down. Both compression rings on cylinder 2 literally, and i mean literally in the literal sense, crumbled out when the piston was removed. The top ring on all cylinders was damaged somehow, either split in half or little ends removed or both. Luckily i saw no horrible damage on any of the pistons ringlands but that doesnt mean there are no cracks, gotta clean up and check for those.

Block is off to the machine shop for a basic deck/hone, the crank is there as well getting polished and measured to ensure its within spec, run on sentences are great for your health so ill add the head is getting a deck and checked for straightness.

I pick all those up on friday and I'll get measurements to see what size bearings/rings to get for the rebuild. Since it's all apart i found a kit that covers all the gaskets and ill be putting in new ones everywhere.

That's a decent wrap so here she is when she was running and had temp plates as well as how it sits now. Hopefully she'll be up to the task of daily driving with a few more bushings, minor rust removal and an undercoating.

whats the model opel Ascona 1.9 or 1.6 , my mate in the uk had one as his first car ,i so jealous ! looks in pretty good shape body wise ,nice wheels too
i guess the Manta`s are more desirable due to their rallying Heritage

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
o.k. maybe I was bit direct and unclear, sorry for that.
Simple reason-Asconas are kind of regular here, every other household had one so not considered some special classic... Sedans like Senator on the other hand are/were rare cars. Also coupes like Monza (basically Senator coupe), and Manta...
From US point of view, I understand Asconas are rare also :)
I wish you have plenty of fun completing the Ascona, no doubt it will look good !!

All good, I took it as you crapping on my car so I was taken by surprise. Sorry about that...

We have Monza in the States but I don't know how common they are, and all the mantas I wanted I was priced out of or were to rotten for me to personally save. I haven't been to Croatia yet but in DE I've seen more mantas/senators/omega evos than asconas.

I get it though, not everyone has to be a fan. I like the car and that's what matters right?
whats the model opel Ascona 1.9 or 1.6 , my mate in the uk had one as his first car ,i so jealous ! looks in pretty good shape body wise ,nice wheels too
i guess the Manta`s are more desirable due to their rallying Heritage
I'm going to disappoint you, 1.2L. only thing I'll have to import is rings and that's not an everyday item. The rest opelgtsource.com should have me covered. Even then o-t-r and krause-rennsport ship to the US.
The Renault is sick, but damn I want this MG!!
Damn lol the Renault has me swooning over it. Glad you like them though.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BD using Tapatalk

221 - 240 of 241 Posts