Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a chance to get a set of hot 16x7 rims with what I believe to be a 17mm offset. What am I looking at as far as fitment to the focus? I'm thinking rolled fenders.

I'm sorely tempted, but I just don;t think they'll fit without some work.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, let's do the math and see.
Recommended offset is 45mm (45 millimeters = 1.77165354 inches). This just clears the inner fender with most(?) tires. 17mm (17 millimeters = 0.669291339 inches) is going to place the outer rim 1.102362201 inches outward from a 45mm offset. So visualizing, you would have about 1" of rim sticking out past your fenders. You could jack up the car to prevent rub (like they do with 4x4 trucks). IMHO > no there not going to fit. (I feel your pain though!)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks S0C0nFused!!! rep for you sir

Hmmm, that's kind of what I thought, just couldn't visualise the 1" part being in or out from the wheel hub.

I've got a 1.4" drop on my wagon, so this might pose a problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think for us it'll be anywhere from +40 or higher offset. it sucks, I know. even oldschool fox body mustang won't work. and they have like +25

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Thanks grahama. And no problem. I went through this not that long ago myself.
blitz23 >> 45mm offset is the lowest offset that will fit the Focus. 40mm and the geometry no longer works. It WILL rub eventually. There are tricks like rolling the fenders or stretching the tires, raising the car etc. Bit there just means of trying to correct the (bad) math. You can duplicate this with a compass and some graph paper.
You all know what the sad thing is? 5 millimeters = 0.196850394 inches (or 2/10ths, or 1.25/8ths) . If we could 'shorten' our front & rear control arms (and all the stuff that attaches to them ) we would not have these conversations. We could run the Audi wheels just fine. (sigh!).

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I never experienced any rub with my 42mm offset wheels that are 7.5" wide, with 205/50/16 tires and FRPP suspension.
You forgot to add "Yet". I have talked with a few folks. Things are OK 1st year or two. Then its "Oh it only rubs a little bit", which progress to "Well, ya there's this dip at X and Y". Problem is, I think your experience is lacking. Try putting 800lbs of concrete in the back and rolling around the Home Depot parking lot (Plz don't really do that). But you see the problem? Most folks never truly load there suspensions, and it seems OK until there is an 'event' (I could name some roads in Illinois that are very 'eventful'). It's just the math. We have some wiggle room based on tire selection, alignment etc. but on a general level, the numbers are workin against any wheel with more (or less depending on your view) of 45mm. That's why Manufacturers use 45mm. Hell I pleaded with the Rota guy for 42mm (as the wheels we REALLY wanted was the RB). He said I was free to put anything I wanted on my car, but ROTA would only 'bless' 45mm. So 45mm grids it was! I believe in math. But hey! that's just me! [cheers]

·
Banned
894 Posts
Yeah I think I saw those on VWVortex maybe, I know I've seen them somewhere recently but don't remember where.

Edit

Just checked and yeah they are on vortex.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Ohhh! Man! Well, consider the dark side. Nothin quite screams fail like rubbing tires!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohhh! Man! Well, consider the dark side. Nothin quite screams fail like rubbing tires!
LOLOLOLOL

What's that sound !?!?!? Oh, it's just my tires rubbing a hole in my car, no biggie :)

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
there are ppl running et30 wheels. pm zx3tunning on Fj he runs LOW offset wheels
he has stretched and rolled fenders and very thin tires

i wouldn't recommend running anything other then a 40 offest...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, Per besthaticouldo comment. Buickboy sent me very good pics of his Rota RB's mounted. There 40mm offset. And there gonna rub if he hits any major dips. The tire wall appeared to be vertical to the fender.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there are ppl running et30 wheels. pm zx3tunning on Fj he runs LOW offset wheels
Yeah if it's Mitch from ZX3tuning.com, I know him and already chatted the other day about the offset dilemma. He's the guy I got the link from in the first place. Oh well, too bad, just wasn't meant to be.

What I really want is a lightweight pair of 16's and rid myself of the 18s I bought when I was naive to things like rotating mass.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Though, I do think a wagon with rolled fenders and stretched tires on euro wheels is teh sxex. Just sayin' :)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Though, I do think a wagon with rolled fenders and stretched tires on euro wheels is teh sxex. Just sayin' :)
Ya! I hear ya on that. [cheers]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts