Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting a new APIM and having it flashed to MFT 2.11 the GPS is pretty much unusable. The car skips along the map and many times it just hangs. Making guidance a joke because you are past the road by the time it catches up. I've done a factory reset but that did no good. I also monitored the GPS from the diagnositcs menu and that seems to be reporting correctly. Anyone else have GPS issues like this or is yours smooth and accurate? The previous gen Ford NAV in my SHO and 2010 GT500 was excellent. It looks the same as this but with the old GUI.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine is all screwed up as well. The maps that came with this car are at least 3 years old....a highway that was moved to the other side of a lake 3 years ago does not show on the 2012 Focus Navigation. Voice control is a joke as it constantly tells me "that address does not exist on that street." Funny thing is, it's my own home address that I was testing, a home that has been there since 1927. Constantly receiving GPS alerts saying that it's not on. My 2009 Ford Fusion AWD with factory navigation was purchased in November 2008, and the Navigation worked perfectly, including showing the moved highway to the other side of the lake. I've already contacted Ford, telling them I want an updated SD Nav card showing the current maps......but until MFT is actually fixed, I don't think it will matter. After updating to Gen 2 2.11 this week, I'm seeing more and more problems, plus the ones that already existed. Ford has a major problem here with MFT/SYNC. Totally unacceptable in a 2012 model year car that boasts about how technologically advanced it is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used the GPS a few times on some routes I already knew. The map updated smoothly as I went along during each attempt.

I do question the validity of the maps, however. It has the correct route I take to work which was built about 4 years ago, but when I come home it wants me turn onto a bridge which was torn down 15 years ago and is now a dead end. It felt like a moment from The Office :).

·
Registered
78 Posts
mine has been pretty good so far, the only problem i have had is when the sync system wants to update everything including the radio stops working until u turn the car off

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had some initial issues with my navigation with the compass (car direction) not pointing in the correct location and drifting off the roads on the map. After driving it more the problem has stopped and I have not had any issues since. I think what helped is that my system crashed (Scheduled Maintenance Screen) and it fixed the issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine is all screwed up as well. The maps that came with this car are at least 3 years old.
Stand-alone GPS units like Garmin give you a free update after you buy it to ensure your maps are up to date. Does Ford not do the same? Surely they don't force you to spend $200 right off the bat to get reliable maps?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Stand-alone GPS units like Garmin give you a free update after you buy it to ensure your maps are up to date. Does Ford not do the same? Surely they don't force you to spend $200 right off the bat to get reliable maps?
What do all of the other car manufacturers do regarding in car navigation systems? I am sure Ford does the same.

Ever since the 2.11 upgrade, there is absolutely zero lag with my system, no reboots, and GPS displays car locations accurately. I never had any issues in the past, other than lag and 2 reboots("Scheduled Maintenance"), flawless since upgrade. Also, SYNC voice recognition is more responsive, and over the past 3 days has only missed one command.

Vehicle built date was 6/28, purchased 7/11, picked up 7/18 with MFT 2.10, upgraded to 2.11 on 8/9.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had some initial issues with my navigation with the compass (car direction) not pointing in the correct location and drifting off the roads on the map. After driving it more the problem has stopped and I have not had any issues since. I think what helped is that my system crashed (Scheduled Maintenance Screen) and it fixed the issue.
Just took delivery yesterday on '12 Focus Titanium hatchback equipped with MyFordTouch WITH Navigation. On delivery, the compass was properly calibrated, but last evening it went haywire. It now thinks I'm heading North when I'm actually heading West; therefore, it's "misguiding" me when you plug in a destination and begin the route.

How do you, or can you, reset/recalibrate the compass when you have MFT with NAV?

·
Banned
363 Posts
After getting a new APIM and having it flashed to MFT 2.11 the GPS is pretty much unusable. The car skips along the map and many times it just hangs. Making guidance a joke because you are past the road by the time it catches up. I've done a factory reset but that did no good. I also monitored the GPS from the diagnositcs menu and that seems to be reporting correctly. Anyone else have GPS issues like this or is yours smooth and accurate? The previous gen Ford NAV in my SHO and 2010 GT500 was excellent. It looks the same as this but with the old GUI.
Mine would rarely work. It would display a message such as "SD card error, return to dealership" when I started the car on a regular basis. When the MFT/NAV would reboot it would lose all of my stored destinations. When I complained of this being an issue FCS's solution was to offer me a Garmin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First thing's first, I'd like to see if anyone has an idea re: resetting or recalibrating the compass component of the MFT w/NAV system to correct the guidance.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
My navigation works fine when I've got the address in the system. But a few times it gets the address wrong and it's a pain in the ass to try to correct it.

And if I'm looking for a specific restaurant that isn't around where I am? I end up just using my phone to search because using POI with navigation is a joke.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My only real complaint is that the nav system voice guidance always says "saint" instead of "street". So if the car is nav'ing me onto River Street (ie: River St. in the database), the car announces, "Turn left onto River Saint in 400 meters".

Turned voice prompting off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine seems ok after the update....the maps need an update.

So that begs the question can we get quarterly map updates like Garmin?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
So that begs the question can we get quarterly map updates like Garmin?
The manufacturer's site (navteq) of our navigation says that updates are $300! Screw that! I wonder if we could get it to work (eventually) with some type of free / third party (Android? 0.o) SD card. I'm a little mad that my $750 navigation doesn't have some side streets in my neighborhood that are about 10 years old. That's a big chunk of change for something that wasn't up-to-date when purchased.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've found the POI database to be spectacularly bad. The guidance actually works pretty well and has some features that are better than Google Nav. But the downside is, like all in-car nav, it's not a garmin/google nav and it looks like garbage. It attempts to mimick street signs, but the dimensions are all off and the fonts are strange. The bubbles with street names are in MS Sans Serif. The streets lines are way too thin to really be able to look at properly at a glance. Compare a Garmin which has exact replicas of street signs, speed limits on most roads, good look maps, etc. That said, I have seen far, far worse looking in-car nav. I still haven't figured out what the red/yellow/green arrows along side the route are. At first I thought it was supposed to be traffic, but if it is, it has no correlation to reality.

If I could rig something up so that I can press a button on my steering wheel to activate voice commands on my Droid X, I can't imagine I'd ever use the in-dash nav again. You just can't beat the power of Google and the internet. It will understand everything, making any standalone product always disappoint.

My dream is that Google will buy Garmin and then partner to make in-car infotainment systems...

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I've found the POI database to be spectacularly bad. I still haven't figured out what the red/yellow/green arrows along side the route are. At first I thought it was supposed to be traffic, but if it is, it has no correlation to reality.

You just can't beat the power of Google and the internet... My dream is that Google will buy Garmin and then partner to make in-car infotainment systems...
I thought it was traffic too! My in-car navigation seems to lead me TO the traffic, while my droid seems to know what is actually going on...

Google buy Garmin? A man can dream... a man can dream...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I thought it was traffic too! My in-car navigation seems to lead me TO the traffic, while my droid seems to know what is actually going on...
Nothing will beat Google. I almost wish I hadn't gotten a smartphone, because any other nav traffic will disappoint. Google is using whatever traffic data sources it purchases plus crowdsourcing of every Android phone plus their algorithms. The closest thing to it I'm aware of is my Garmin which actually gets traffic over a cellphone data connection, but it's still way-off (though occasionally spot on) and only for major highways. Google Nav even manages to show traffic accurately on *ramps*. When you consider that a ramp is likely to be below the GPS resolution in many instances and has overlapping traffic in different directions, you can imagine how complicated the algorithm would get to be able to show traffic for those areas from crowdsourced data...

·
Registered
10 Posts
What do all of the other car manufacturers do regarding in car navigation systems? I am sure Ford does the same.

Ever since the 2.11 upgrade, there is absolutely zero lag with my system, no reboots, and GPS displays car locations accurately. I never had any issues in the past, other than lag and 2 reboots("Scheduled Maintenance"), flawless since upgrade. Also, SYNC voice recognition is more responsive, and over the past 3 days has only missed one command.

Vehicle built date was 6/28, purchased 7/11, picked up 7/18 with MFT 2.10, upgraded to 2.11 on 8/9.
That's good for you man, seriously, congrats on that. I'm a bit jealous as I have never seen anyone on these forums (or others) that say the v2.11 update was a good thing LOL If anything it has caused major problems in my vehicle. Bleh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts