Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped my ST at the dealer this morning for my difficult shift problem. There is a TSB for 04+ MTX-75s for "premature clutch wear". Take that as you will... My car is exhibiting problems a lot more like the SVT pressure plate issue, for which there is also a TSB. I don't know how similar MTXs and Getrags are in the pressure plate department - my guess is not very. Anyhow, I just got a call saying that the tech had had a look at the car, but he was not able to tell if the problems might be a manufacturer defect, or just clutch wear, which is only covered under the 12/12 warranty. Did I mention that there are under 27k miles on the car and there's a TSB for PREMATURE clutch wear??? [?|]

So I gave him the go-ahead to rip it apart and have a closer look, since the problem has to be addressed one way or another (labor = 5 hrs @ $98/hr = oh shit). They told me that they'd do anything they can to warranty the work but could not guarantee. Long story short: I could be out $500 for a clutch that wore out in 27k miles. Everyone pray for me! [nutkick]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Did you tell them about the tsb? Some dealers are slack about looking for them.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I actually printed out copies of 06-24-10 and 04-21-19 and gave them to the service advisor. I have access to FordTechService through work.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Cool ^^^ it never hurts to stay on top of these things. Not every dealership has a focus guy there! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's what whynotthinkwhynot posted about my problem a week or so ago:
My guess is that your problem is a weak pressure plate- which the dealer, and any other mechanic wouldn't be able to diagnose until the clutch fails completely.
Well my symptoms almost perfectly matched those described by the SVT pressure plate TSB, and lo-and-behold, after they ripped open the tranny, they found that my problem was the pressure plate. Here's the kicker - that's a "wear part" warrantied only by the 12/12. Oh shit, I'm out $500-600. But wait! My service advisor, all but winking right at me, tells me that his tech "broke a spring" while he was servicing it. Hello, covered under warranty!! How's that for dealer service [:D]

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
That's awesome when they do that kind of stuff. Good customer service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts