Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With just under 9,000 miles on my 2007, I've had to replace a Yokohama tire because of a leak at the base of the stem. When I searched for possible defect info, I discovered a "horror story" site about Yokohama tires and now I'm concerned about the safety of my remaining three Yokohama tires. Does anyone have more info or experience with defective Yokohama tires on their Focus?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The stem is not attached to the tire in any way shape or form. Stem failure is an issue all by itself. ANY tire that is run underinflated (I'm assuming that's why your tire was damaged) is subject to failure and or damage. That's not the tires fault. Yoko's have a very good reputation. If you were to believe everything you read on the web nobody would own or buy anything and all companies would be broke. I have had at least a half dozen complete sets of various Yokohama tires and never had a tire failure of any kind and that includes my current set of Advans on my Miata6.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^^^ [thumb]

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
On the subject of tires and pressures, does the 2007 or newer Focus have the "low tire pressure" warning system? I know my work van is supposed to have it (at least I think it does?) and it has never lit up the idiot light in spite of some very low pressure in one of the front tires. Just wondering if those warnings are worth a darn, or does it tell you the tire is low on pressure as you're hobbling along on the blown out tire making your way to the shoulder??

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I don't believe any Focus has ever come with that kind of system. From what I know though those systems typically only notify you if the pressures fall below a pre-determined amount.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I run Yokohama parada spec 2's on my focus and I love them.
They are a very good tire brand. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I just check my tire pressures every coupla weeks, it beats relying on yet another electronic gadget to save us from ourselves.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
My Yokos were amazing when I had them but they don't offer them in the size I want anymore.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yokohama tires are some of the best tires out there money can buy! I'll probably buy Yokohama's as my next winter set or summer set. My moms' trailblazer has Yokohama Geolander's. Not one problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I feel moderately better about my tires, but I'm still unsure of the problem. I'm pretty sure underinflation wasn't the problem because I've been keeping up with that for better gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
yokohama=shizznagis.

seriously. i am looking at a few sets for next year lol. need a set for cruising the summer streets, a track set, and perhaps a winter set if they exist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yoko tire #2 same problem

Okay, I've now lost the second of my original Yokohama tires. It's the same problem with the valve stem tearing, causing a slow leak. I can't believe that underinflation is the problem, as I have been monitoring this. I have two more to go and will update if anything happens to them. The replacement tire for both from November's initial problem and January's bad tire is Bridgestone Fuzion.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
I have Yokohama AVID W4S tires on my SVT wheels an at tirerack.com they were rated #1 in 2007 & 2008 for all seasonal tire's

·
Registered
393 Posts
Okay, I've now lost the second of my original Yokohama tires. It's the same problem with the valve stem tearing, causing a slow leak. I can't believe that underinflation is the problem, as I have been monitoring this. I have two more to go and will update if anything happens to them. The replacement tire for both from November's initial problem and January's bad tire is Bridgestone Fuzion.
Again, valve stems are completely unrelated to the tire. It is a separate piece. When tire shops install new tires, they pull the valve stems out of a big bin, so one car getting new GoodYears will get the same stems as the car in the next bay getting new Firestones. Sounds like you got bad valve stems, and you can have those replaced WITHOUT buying new tires.

Assuming you didn't run your Yokohamas when they were flat after the valve stem leak, you are replacing tires for nothing. If the shop is telling you to replace the tires because of a valve stem leak, they are robbing you.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Again, valve stems are completely unrelated to the tire. It is a separate piece. When tire shops install new tires, they pull the valve stems out of a big bin, so one car getting new GoodYears will get the same stems as the car in the next bay getting new Firestones. Sounds like you got bad valve stems, and you can have those replaced WITHOUT buying new tires.

Assuming you didn't run your Yokohamas when they were flat after the valve stem leak, you are replacing tires for nothing. If the shop is telling you to replace the tires because of a valve stem leak, they are robbing you.
X2..........

·
Registered
459 Posts
They might not have replaced the valve stems at all, either. I had tires put on my truck at PepBoys last year and paid for all the stems, balance, etc. They did not put new stems on at all! Took a trip a couple weeks later and left my truck at home, got a phone call from my roommate said my brand new tires were all low/flat. Made pepboys put on new stems, and talked them into a free oil change, which I supervised of course!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I seem to recall a story from last spring <?> about a bunch of bad valve stems shipped from China. Regardless, since I don't think valve stems are marked at all you would never be able to backtrack it...

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Double post.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts