Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 Focus 2.3 Engine cuts out from a start really bad...then mysteriously goes back to normal.
Has done this twice in last month. Feels like ignition going on and off. NO CODES.
Is my fuel pump going out ? My other guess is TPS going bad.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
2003 Focus 2.3 Engine cuts out from a start really bad...then mysteriously goes back to normal.
Has done this twice in last month. Feels like ignition going on and off. NO CODES.
Is my fuel pump going out ? My other guess is TPS going bad.

Can you specify what cuts out?
Does the electrical die?
Or does the engine die, but electrical stays on?
Do both die?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you specify what cuts out?
Does the electrical die?
Or does the engine die, but electrical stays on?
Do both die?
Engine cuts out to idle...rpm goes back up...then idle. Car runs but drops out to idle then clears up.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Check all of your hoses really well for a soft spot or a pinhole.
Also check that one isn't completely off of it's barb on the IM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check all of your hoses really well for a soft spot or a pinhole.
Also check that one isn't completely off of it's barb on the IM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
Why would it do it 2 times in a month? Wouldn't it be all the time?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Why would it do it 2 times in a month? Wouldn't it be all the time?

Eh, I was just mentioning those things because they have been my problem when I had your symptom on 3 out of my 4 foci, and, many folks do not diligently rub the entirety of the hoses all the way around until suggested to do so by others. So, nothing about you obviously, just generic encouragement.

To try to answer your question about how the intervals could be so few:
You could have a faulty mount where the engine or trans intermittently sits in a perfect position that happens to keep a faulty hose or cable functioning well, that occasionally gets jarred out of that position by a pothole or other abrupt shock on the suspension. Even steering your front wheels tweaks the position of the powertrain.

Another is heat. A weak spot gets a little too hot now and then. Collapses when very hot, works well enough at all other times.

It could be a million other things. It's most likely just one simple thing though.

Torque app will help you a lot. It'll help prevent you from wasting money on parts that don't need replacing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eh, I was just mentioning those things because they have been my problem when I had your symptom on 3 out of my 4 foci, and, many folks do not diligently rub the entirety of the hoses all the way around until suggested to do so by others. So, nothing about you obviously, just generic encouragement.

To try to answer your question about how the intervals could be so few:
You could have a faulty mount where the engine or trans intermittently sits in a perfect position that happens to keep a faulty hose or cable functioning well, that occasionally gets jarred out of that position by a pothole or other abrupt shock on the suspension. Even steering your front wheels tweaks the position of the powertrain.

Another is heat. A weak spot gets a little too hot now and then. Collapses when very hot, works well enough at all other times.

It could be a million other things. It's most likely just one simple thing though.

Torque app will help you a lot. It'll help prevent you from wasting money on parts that don't need replacing.
One motor mount is going bad. Shudders.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
'Wouldn't it be all the time?'

What makes all you people think that is some sort of a rule?, it most certainly is NOT unless one of random perversity. Look that up. Cars VERY rarely act that straightforward.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'Wouldn't it be all the time?'

What makes all you people think that is some sort of a rule?, it most certainly is NOT unless one of random perversity. Look that up. Cars VERY rarely act that straightforward.
It's FIXED...wasn't overheating. CHT sensor was bad. TY for all the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts