Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if any of you foci geniuses can help me out...there is yet another rattle coming from SOMEWHERE in the engine compartment. I took off both heatshields on the cat and the headers, so thats out for sure.

Its a similar sounding metallic vibration/rattle that occurs when im easing the clutch out from a stop and driving slowly in first gear..or when im deaccelerating and slowing to a stop. Basically, when the engine is in a lower rpm. also, when im cruising around and floor it ( in any gear but most prominent in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear) and the revs go above 5000 there is some type of weird metallic rattle that comes and then goes away after a few seconds. it sounds pretty terrible actually...the engine FEELS fine, it idles and runs perfectly fine..so i dont know. Im sure there is some type of underlying problem that needs to be looked at.

any ideas at all? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
714 Posts
Could be the cat bracket or the dreaded clutch TSB

·
Registered
975 Posts
i have the same thing also its not the clutch it only does it at idle and sometimes when im driving around it sounds like a loose bolt type deal iono wat it is i thought it was the cat shield but i don't have the bottom part of it and the top part is still there i don't have a jack to lift it yet cuz im at school but i guess tomorrow i will investigate further

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
lol, i'd place a bet on your resonator. mine does it too through a certain rpm range then quits. tinny rattle sound. its something inside the resonator thats loose. mine broke a spotweld and the new ones doing it now too. thinking its time to straight pipe it and get rid of the res.

·
Registered
975 Posts
wait u mean the resonator all the way in the back of the exhaust? no way the sounds coming from underneath the motor

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
there is a noise on mine as well, i thought it could be the timming chain [dunno]

i'll jack it up one of these days and i'll check the bolts and stuff...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea its definitely coming from the engine area. The one that worries me the most is the one i hear WOT. metal against metal rattling sound..im goinna call the stealership and se if they can just DIAGNOSE it. ill fix it myself lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
when you hear the sound next, push the clutch pedal all the way down. if this reduces or eliminates the noise, its TSB...

WD40 posted a sticky thread with a link to the writeup prodecure that you can print out and take to the dealership with you, since many love giving people shit about it. (happens to a lot of SVT's, but recall woulda been too expensive for ford, i'm assuming)

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28760&highlight=042119
doh, i just realized you have an 02 - no warranty left? or did you get the extended drivetrain?

also, it could possibly be the heat shield on top of the catalytic converter (i guess they have 2, someone mentioned)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I would guess it's the cat bracket. There are two pices that hold the cat to the firewall. Both can come loose. WD40 just did a write up on this.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahhha! very good work fellas...im going to look at the cat heatshield and the bracket as well. I think i remember having some bracket replaced TWICE by the dealership last year...i dont recall if it was the cat bracket or if it was some other bracket that mounts the exhaust...anyway..thanks, im going to check it out

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^ Check here. It's in the TSB:
http://www.svtownersassociation.com/svtoaforums/showthread.php?p=83902&#post83902
It's also shown in the thread I linked earlier, as is the TSB link.
You'll see the sticker with part number on the new bracket in one of my pics.

Note:
This is for the upper (CAT) bracket.
The lower (engine) bracket, that the CAT bracket attaches to has also been known to break. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
738 Posts
heh, wonder if this is what that sound I hear is... time to find a lift!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts