Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a new one I haven't been able to find anything about. About once a week when I go to start my car, it starts up fine but the check engine light comes on. When I put it in gear, its just in neutral. No matter what gear is selected, it's in neutral. In order to get the transmission to go back into a gear, I have to unplug the battery and wait 10 to 15 minutes to reset the computer. Real convenient when you have somewhere to be. The light usually goes out when it's been reset, but sometimes takes up to 4 stop and restarts before it goes away. Regardless, it doesn't produce a code that the autoparts stores can pull.

Also, occasionally while driving, the car will jerk momentarily, feeling as though it's been thrown into neutral. This will kick on the check engine light, and from then on, it feels like some kid is learning to drive stick. Holds gears way too high, goes neutral in between and let's the revs drop too low, then slams you into the next gear. This goes away after you shut down and let it sit awhile, but again, the check engine light produces no code for the auto parts store.

Took her to the shop today, hope they can fix this stupid thing. Any guess on the problem?

My bet is computer. New clutches were put in back in May. Either way, I'm getting rid of it. I'll never buy another Ford dual clutch. Save the manuals.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Before buying a new TCM.. I would check the wiring connections to/around transmission and TCM.
Unplug and replug them all. (with the battery disconnected) Maybe use an electrical contact cleaner spray into them while apart.
The neutral problem reads to me like an electrical non-connect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily I'm still covered by the warranty, so I don't plan on paying a single dime, but a connecton issue might explain it.

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Maybe an RS...
If you're being angry about the reliability issue of your transmission I would not suggest buying a RS right now until they fix the head gasket issue.

ST power train is as reliable as the MANUAL MK3.

Reactions: PratoN

·
Registered
409 Posts
IMO, get a proper reader. I triggered a check engine light when I accidentally left an EGR cable unplugged and a generic reader showed no codes, yes the light was on.
However when I used a proper tool and ForScan it told me everything.
It not too expensive and considering you'll know what's wrong with the car it could save you money when mechanics try and make stuff up.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So here's a new one I haven't been able to find anything about. About once a week when I go to start my car, it starts up fine but the check engine light comes on. When I put it in gear, its just in neutral. No matter what gear is selected, it's in neutral. In order to get the transmission to go back into a gear, I have to unplug the battery and wait 10 to 15 minutes to reset the computer. Real convenient when you have somewhere to be. The light usually goes out when it's been reset, but sometimes takes up to 4 stop and restarts before it goes away. Regardless, it doesn't produce a code that the autoparts stores can pull.

Also, occasionally while driving, the car will jerk momentarily, feeling as though it's been thrown into neutral. This will kick on the check engine light, and from then on, it feels like some kid is learning to drive stick. Holds gears way too high, goes neutral in between and let's the revs drop too low, then slams you into the next gear. This goes away after you shut down and let it sit awhile, but again, the check engine light produces no code for the auto parts store.

Took her to the shop today, hope they can fix this stupid thing. Any guess on the problem?

My bet is computer. New clutches were put in back in May. Either way, I'm getting rid of it. I'll never buy another Ford dual clutch. Save the manuals.
sorry for your hassles. Its too bad all the problems and much worse how Ford has treated their customers with them.

someone in a 2015 vw gti wouldn't even know they had a dual clutch, vw has had a long time to refine it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you're being angry about the reliability issue of your transmission I would not suggest buying a RS right now until they fix the head gasket issue.

ST power train is as reliable as the MANUAL MK3.
head gasket issue is all over facebook pages for the RS

·
Registered
159 Posts
Unfortunately anything more than basic transportation must wait until student loans are gone.
Off subject, but whatever you do, DO NOT refinance your student loans. I did this because a company affiliated with my uni contacted me gushing about how they can save me money, everyone was doing it, there is no reason NOT too... well 15 years later I'm still paying on it, 10 more to go if I keep making the minimum. It took me a loooong time to get into a financial situation where I could start thinking about throwing extra money at those loans. But if I had just sucked it up and paid a bigger monthly from the beginning I would have been finished with them 5 years ago!

So anyway, student loan or no life goes on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Preaching to the choir. I've become a Dave Ramsey disciple since I've been out of school. I know it's off topic, but if you're reading this and considering taking out student loans...DON'T!

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
sorry for your hassles. Its too bad all the problems and much worse how Ford has treated their customers with them.

someone in a 2015 vw gti wouldn't even know they had a dual clutch, vw has had a long time to refine it.
Don't bash on Ford on that point..
The whole DSG drama with VW /Audi was very bad handled at the beginning... with similar customers treatment at dealers.

Ask anyone who bought and sold their DSG driven cars ~2006 and more

·
Registered
159 Posts
Preaching to the choir. I've become a Dave Ramsey disciple since I've been out of school. I know it's off topic, but if you're reading this and considering taking out student loans...DON'T!
lol, yeah but 23 year old me wouldn't have listened to anyone's advise. They really need to start teaching financial responsibility and the [ [deviltail] EVILS of DEBT [deviltail] ] in highschool!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good call. Got it back last night, new TCM and new clutch assembly. 7B546*B. Same clutch assembly that went in back in May, the one that came out yesterday had less than 10k miles on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts