Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my car started fine and i let it run for about 20 mins before going to the store. I was in the store not more than 15 mins and car wouldn't start. No clicks. Checked battery. It is good. However, brake pedal is stuck solid. Car is all the way in park. Anyone have any clue what might be Wrong?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Hows the battery connection? Do the lights work?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Did you try to wiggle the key around? Could possibly be ignition issues.

Also as Felix said, check the battery cables.

Is the security light flashing?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
First thing to check on any no crank situation is whether the PATS system is behaving normally, as JFrye mentioned. Indicator light should go solid then out after ignition key insertion. Rapid flashing is a sign the PATS system is interfering with the starting process.

Next step, assuming your "battery is good" testing is valid, would be to put the car in neutral and try starting it. If it does start, the problem lies with shifter cable adjustment or a fault with the neutral safety switch. i.e. the car won't turn over because PCM "thinks" it's not in park.

A couple of easy things to look at first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also about a month ago i had the battery and cables checked. They "sealed" everything. I'm not sure about the security light. You're referring to the fake anti theft light?

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you cant move the pedal, I would check the rod that attaches to it. Make sure there is nothing behind the pedal keeping it help up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did just have to tape a scRew to make the brake light switch work but it woulda had to completely twirl around but I'm going to check it out.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Since you were just down there in that area to do that, I would bet something got caught up near the brake pedal causing this issue. Report back to let us know what you find.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I can't put the car in neutral bc the brake pedal Won't go down.
Ford owner's manual:
"AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE OPERATION (if equipped)
Brake-shift interlock
This vehicle is equipped with a brake shift interlock feature that prevents the gearshift from being moved from P (Park) unless the brake pedal is depressed. If you cannot move the gearshift out of P (Park) with the brake pedal depressed:
1. Apply the parking brake, turn ignition key to LOCK, then remove the key.
2. Remove the protective cover to the interlock access hole on the console (to the right beside the shifter). Insert a screwdriver or other similar tool to release the interlock. Apply the brake pedal and shift to N (Neutral).
3. Start the vehicle."

You're referring to the fake anti theft light?
No, I'm referring to the real anti-theft light in the middle of your dash by the hazard switch.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If the brake pedal is jammed up to not move at all, you've got a mechanical linkage issue as mentioned earlier that needs looking at before even worrying about starting.

fix that & the switch & your interlock troubles will go away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had it looked at today. Looks like I'll be getting my 2nd starter in less than a year.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Are you sure it's the starter though? That sounds weird that the brake pedal won't move, but the starter is being replaced?

What was the issue with the brake pedal?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had it looked at today. Looks like I'll be getting my 2nd starter in less than a year.
I'm gonna agree. I don't really know quite a lot of about Foci, but I'm pretty sure the brake pedal has very little, if nothing at all, to do with your starter.

Might wanna start with your pedal, since that issue came up right as the car had the starting issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They told me a bunch of other stuff is wrong with my car ... i will be getting rid of it as soon as i can. So I'm just going to hope nothing goes wrong in the meantime :-/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts