Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I apologize if this has been covered...

but I keep hearing about hyrdolock with CAI's. I plan to get the focussport cold air intake, then a bypass valve and a splash guard for it. Now I typically never drive through puddles, but how big of a puddle would I have to drive through to lock up my engine? If I see a road flooded I will find another way around, even if it is only a few inches of water.

Also would I be better off with marcy motorsports CAI or focus sport CAI, what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
oh, well I never, ever, ever drive through puddles that big. Less grime that gets on the side of my car the better.

Also could I buy a 3" bypass valve from some place like Advanced Auto Parts?

and ps... does my 06 SES come standard with splash shields? i have factory splashguards currently installed on the front 2 wheel wells.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
you cannot use a bypass valve unless you do some modifying ot the intake itself. but with the spalsh guard and the filter location on either the fs or marcy intake the possibility of hydro locking is slim.

both intakes are great and now are equally priced. i believe the fs is a little better because it comes with a better filter.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a black MM CAI for sale... going to be posting it on Monday... :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah, I just bought the FocusSport CAI with ITG Filter. Should have it in the next day or two. I drove my baby down to Philly this weekend and on the highway I noticed a huge lag when I was trying to speed up at 65mph... The rpms were around 2000+ and then it would suddenly jump from that to over 4000. My friends in the car began getting pissed every time I turned off the AC to get more power for the engine. From what I've read everyone says the biggest boost in power is in the 2000-4500 rpm range. I can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes yes yes I read that thread... again I don't drive through puddles, and with all the rain we got back in May and June in New England and all the highway driving I did at the same time, I am pretty sure that I will not have to worry about this. I never go on long trips if it is raining that badly. Besides most of the highways near me never flood (if anyone has seen rt 3 or 128 in MA flood in the last 5 years please let me know). But I'll tell ya what, if I hydrolock I'll let you say "I told you so."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts