Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't listen to people who say it cant be done, it can and very easily. I have posted a quick video of what I did but basically all you need to do is find an APIM from a scrapped ford focus that had navigation, swap out your old APIM with the new one and VOILA! you have navigation! [cheers]

It is NOT tied to your vin, it does NOT require any new wiring. all you need is the nav sd card which you can find on ebay. If you have any question, please ask and I can help out!

Check out the video here:
http://youtu.be/dkN5bq71bXY

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Don't listen to people who say it cant be done, it can and very easily. I have posted a quick video of what I did but basically all you need to do is find an APIM from a scrapped ford focus that had navigation, swap out your old APIM with the new one and VOILA! you have navigation! [cheers]

It is NOT tied to your vin, it does NOT require any new wiring. all you need is the nav sd card which you can find on ebay. If you have any question, please ask and I can help out!

Check out the video here:
http://youtu.be/dkN5bq71bXY
That's been proven before, however you cannot simply install the programming onto the modules outside of the factory or as a service part to the car whose vin had navigation.

The only way to do it so far is as stated requires taking the functioning modules from a wrecked car rather than having a dealer install the software.

·
Registered
158 Posts
At first I thought this was converting non-MFT to MFT. It was confusing me greatly but I now understand... I didn't even know you can get MFT without nav.

Cool post.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woops! i should have been more clear about that. my bad!

yeah there are two types of MFT. the one without nav (the one i had) says "information" in the top right corner of the screen, whereas one with nav will say "navigation"

·
Registered
158 Posts
That info tab seems cool. I'd prefer it over the never used/redundant climate control(s).

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it was. Yet every other day there is someone asking if it can be done, so I thought I would be a bit more clear than others and repost it. Never said I was the first to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So if you are at the junkyard, how do you tell if it has navigation on it or not? I know how to tell if the car is on, but most junkyards don't have batteries in their cars they are parting out.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I don't get the point of going through all this trouble, or paying $795 to Ford to begin with, when Google Maps on a smartphone gets the job done just fine. Plus Google Maps is always updated; permanent nav requires expensive periodic updates. [dunno]

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't get the point of going through all this trouble, or paying $795 to Ford to begin with, when Google Maps on a smartphone gets the job done just fine. Plus Google Maps is always updated; permanent nav requires expensive periodic updates. [dunno]
It's bigger than using your phone and a cleaner look. If you have all the sirrus subscriptions it's got some nice tools to use. Quick look up for gas prices, point of interest locations, weather, movie listings, etc. They all can be routed for destination or waypoints without hassle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep, i used that ford sight to check the vin and make sure it had nav.

i used to use my phone for nav as well, but its just so sloppy and unsafe. This way the nav is built into my car and i can set it and forget it. The voice control works great too. honestly I dont use my phone nav anymore and can focus on using my phone as....a phone.

And really i found apims all over the place from ebay or car-part.com for as little as 125 bucks. i think mine was 200. so i agree 795 is way too much, but if you are spending that much to retrofit your car, you are doing something very wrong. lol

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Pretty sure the Google Maps app has voice control as well, though I haven't played with it.

So as little as $125 to retrofit, but still over $100 every time you want to update your maps? At least for my Durango it's like $150 for a map update...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty sure the Google Maps app has voice control as well, though I haven't played with it.

So as little as $125 to retrofit, but still over $100 every time you want to update your maps? At least for my Durango it's like $150 for a map update...
you can buy ford sd map cards on ebay for as little as 15 bucks depending on the year. im currently running the a4, and the a6 just came out. honestly i havent seen a problem with the a4 maps at all yet. ill probably get an A5 sometime later in the year and probably get it for 20 30 bucks.

there is just no comparison when talking about oem built in nav and smartphones/stand alone units. there is something just so right about having it built in to the car with a big beautiful display and connected to all the cars systems.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a sealed A5 chip if anyone wants to buy it. Just had bought the A5 chip in Dec for the '12 , the car was totaled last week, so I used it in the new '14 one. Kept the original sealed from the 2014

1 - 20 of 97 Posts