Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did some searching but didn't really come up with the answer i was looking for, so here's another tire pressure related question.

A couple years ago I did the mazda rev-it-up traveling auto-x circus and got quite hooked on the idea of cone carving. So now that I'm finally going to put my car on-track for my first season. (starts this weekend)
So on to the query...
I was checking over everything on the car and ramping up my tire pressures in accordance with the newb recomendations, to avoid my tires rolling over.
however after doing so the steering feels less responsive and doesn't really transition well.
Since I have comletely crap stock spec all-seasons (the previous owner obviously didn't like spending money on tires) I was running near the recomendations on the door jam for daily driving.
32F, 30R
At those pressures the car grips as good as can be expected, has predictable limits and transitions are quite snappy.
I jacked them up to 40F, 38R (keeping the 2psi stagger that was working out at the lower pressures)
But it was immediately noticeable how dull the steering is now....
It just completely shocked me though, because my old car had 225x50x16 falken summer tires on it and had the opposite effect, higher pressures were much more responsive.
I'm wondering if this is "normal" behavior for cheap tires? or if I can do something to *fix* it before I do my novice school tomorrow.
(like adjusting the stagger on a percentage, not a fixed #?)

oh, max pressure on the sidewall of these guys is 44
and when i pumped them up to 40/38 They had just seen 70 miles of highway pounding, so were nicely warmed up.

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
Hey there.... welcome to the world of auto-x. I will be at the event this weekend too School and event. I run 44-45psi on the front and about 38 in the rear. Lower priced econo. tire will fold easier and not give the best feedback due to the softer side walls. There are a ton of people at the events here in WNY that will be more than happy to help.
But, I would bring some white shoe polish (or chalk) to put on 3 spots of the side wall to see how far the wall id pushing over. Also A good tire preasure guage and air pump. I will have my stuff there if you'd like to use it. If you have any other questions at the event I will help with what I can. Still learning some things.
One of the instructors at the event is also a Focus driver and will be able to help us in many ways. See you at the event tomorrow. I will be the black ST Focus with polished wheels/tint/#65

·
Registered
96 Posts
So, how'd it go?

Let me wager on what pressures worked: 42 front 36 rear?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts