Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this issue? I saw a thread about it, but didn't see any further posts regarding it.

Mine has a moon roof, on the passenger side I'm noticing yellow/orange stains in the fabric on the roof.

I'm planning on taking my car in this weekend for MFT Update, and will have them take a look. If it's a leak in drainage that would suck cause they'd have to either clean and make it look pristine like the current condition of the car or replace the top. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been having the same problem, I tried to get the first one out and did an ok job. But when driving around today I noticed another stain on the passenger side near the moonroof. WTF?

·
Registered
57 Posts
uh oh, this might be becoming an issue.

I had the same thing happen to mine, but mine is just a normal SE hatch without a moonroof. I got in my car one day (I can't remember if it just rained or not), and for some reason I looked up, and thats when I saw a stain by the map light, then I checked the whole interior and found a big yellowish stain was surrounding the hanger hook by the passenger side, and spots here and there by the back LED light. At first I thought one of my friends mightve done something, so I tried cleaning it but it didn't do anything.

I took it in to my dealer, they tried cleaning it but couldn't get it out either, so they replaced the whole top liner with a new one about a week later. I'm worried though, because they said they tried to see if there were any leaks before they put the new one on by covering it in water for a few minutes, and even took off those long plastic pieces on the top of the roof and did the same thing, and they couldn't find anything wrong or any leakage.

They said they had never seen anything like that before, so yeah... I check everyday when I get in the car now tho, since it's been raining pretty frequently lately.

I had no idea anyone else had had the same problem, I chalked it up to being an early adopter and getting a slightly out-of-spec model. Looks like we're all going to have to watch it, and you should take it in to get it replaced, it took my dealer about 4 hours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also, it seems like there really isn't any pattern to this so far, with both sedans and hatchbacks as well as different trims and options appearing with this problem, so its probably a good idea for all 2012 owners to check for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys...I read about this situation on a post a couple of weeks ago. I spoke with my sales rep last week. He "acknowledged" that the plant was having an issue with the adhesive(s) used to attach the headliner to the roof!

So, that might explain why some of you might have been seeing those colored spots on your headliners.

When were your cars built; before July of this year? Still waiting on my SEL hatch. Was built last week and awaiting shipment to Wisconsin :)

Hope this sheds some light for you!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked mine up on June 16. I have it scheduled for MFT and roof issue next week. I'll replpy with my findings, but I'm sort of glad int wasn't just me.

Hopefully they get it fixed, cause everything else looks great.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Anyone else have this issue? I saw a thread about it, but didn't see any further posts regarding it.

Mine has a moon roof, on the passenger side I'm noticing yellow/orange stains in the fabric on the roof.

I'm planning on taking my car in this weekend for MFT Update, and will have them take a look. If it's a leak in drainage that would suck cause they'd have to either clean and make it look pristine like the current condition of the car or replace the top. :(
That was my topic that contained it before, and I got an answer on what it was.

It's the glue they use to stick to headliner to either the body or the velcro (depending on where it is). Mine is right at the tip of the A-pillar on the passenger side and somewhat noticeable. They tried dying it out and said it's impossible to get rid of the stain, so I'm waiting on a new headliner to arrive.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Heck I have the same thing!!!! Just appeared out of no where! I though it was from the tinter, but I checked my headliner afterward. Now I know ammonia can trigger yellowing. And I JUST put an air freshener in my car. Not sure if that did it, but that's the only change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my car yesterday, and noticed a stain on the roof liner

I have a Sterling Grey Se with no moonroof

I'm a bit pissed

Best Regards

DDR

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was my topic that contained it before, and I got an answer on what it was.

It's the glue they use to stick to headliner to either the body or the velcro (depending on where it is). Mine is right at the tip of the A-pillar on the passenger side and somewhat noticeable. They tried dying it out and said it's impossible to get rid of the stain, so I'm waiting on a new headliner to arrive.
I have it on A-pillar on passenger side, a little above window, and another spot above front window. All on passenger side.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I just had my headliner replaced because of an adhesive issue, didn't have any staining though.
My headliner vibrates ever so slightly right above my head and is quite annoying while driving or at stoplights. Is it worth getting this checked out or do you think dealers will do more harm than good trying to fix it?

I'll keep my eyes open for any stains - I do have a sunroof, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the headliner replaced. Looks great. I was worried since they had to take the seats out but I inspected it pretty well when I got it back.

Only one minor scratch on the drivers side door. Barely into the paint so I can buff it out fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a yellow spot on mine as well, I didn't show it to the dealer because I thought it might possibly have been caused by me. I do however have issues with the headliner not being glued down properly around the sunroof opening, and being lumpy there. I showed the salesperson, and compared with another on the lot. The others were lumpy as well, but were glued better, so I think they will fix it.
Mine is one of the old ones, built in Feb.
Does everyone with a sunroof have a lumpy headliner?

·
Registered
179 Posts
my car has all the same problems that you have all listed. Headliner that seems loose, very noisy and usually happens when the vehicle is "cold" or hasn't been driven, you know first thing in the morning. When the vehicle warms up, or the outside temperature increases, the noise seems to dissipate. That leads me to believe that the adhesive used is flawed and when it's cold, contraction makes the headliner squeek. As far as the stains, yes I have them on mine as well. Headliner has been "backordered" for a few weeks now.....way to go Ford......you know "quality is JOB 1" not!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Can someone post a picture of this? I'm curious to see what this looks like. Mine was built in April and seems fine to me. (Sedan, no moonroof)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have several stains on mine.

I only seen one when I took it to the dealership a couple of weeks ago for some of their screw ups. They tried to get it out, but now it's just a yellow stain with a water ring around it.

After I got it back (wife picked it up) she said the stain was still there. I told her don't bother, I'll look at it. That evening I looked the headliner over really good, and seen several stains. The biggest one is right above the rear view mirror. I plan on taking it back in next week as I'm going on vacation, and plan to put many many miles on their loaner. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took my car into the dealer to get sync updated to 2.11 and had them look at my headliner. They decided to replace it and ordered me a new one. I will try to take a pic of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
lol....wow so many people with this issue and to think i was the only one...like some people i thought it was one of my friends but thanks for letting us know that its the headlining glue.....i will probably take the car to the dealership to get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts