Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's lovely yellow blaze coat has been slightly chipped by a rogue stone. Such is the cost of driving on rural roads to Texas's lovely state parks. [:D]

I'd like to touch it up, but I haven't done this before. My entire painting experience is limited to Airfix models. I'm looking at this:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch_up_paint.asp
2012 Ford Focus NQ - Yellow Blaze Tricoat

This mentions clearcoat, groundcoat and midcoat. There are some directions on there, but they refer to groundcoat/clearcoat only. Can anyone explain the step-by-step?

(It's a very small chip, so even if the color's off it doesn't really matter. I just want it yellow and not rusted over.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just get the ford touch up paint from your dealer. I already got my firdt hood chip too and the stock motorcraft stuff works great and covers perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought some paint from the site you listed. Tuxedo black, matches perfectly. I bought the clearcoat as well but after getting it I realized it's not necessary. To do really good touch-up work you have to put on maybe 6-10 really thin coats to build it up to a small bump and then use a 2000 grit wet sanding block and scuff it down until it's level and then use a good polish...

With the clear coat, the last 3-4 coats would be clear coat instead of the paint touch-up. So honestly, unless you're going to go through that effort, just get the touch and skip the base and clear-coat...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts