Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for new tires on my '03 SVT EAP. The stock Contis probably still have a summer left in them, but construction on the Dan Ryan (Chicago) has ended the life of one of them (big sidewall bubble), and there isn't enough life left in the others to just buy one.

Anyway, been digging around on the Tire Rack and here and am looking at the following options in the stock 215/45R17 size (trying to stay under $100/tire):

Summer tires:

Kumho ECSTA SPT $81
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 $88 (and comes with Cars soundtrack and $100 "cash" card - whatever that means)

All-season:

Kumho ECSTA ASX $83

I'm leaning towards the ASX since I'm not sure I want to commit to buying dedicated winter tires. Any thoughts on these tires and prices? Others to consider in the same price range

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My car came with 2 ASX on the rear. When I put them up front I was shock how quyickly they wore. I have gone to BF G-Force Sports since. then and I have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have a set of the F1 GS-D3's sitting in my garage that I bought recently. I probably have another 10k miles left on my Conti's, but those tires used to run around $140 each, and are rated as just about the best sport tire in the class. $88/ea was a bargain.

This winter was also my first with winter tires, and I dont think I'll go back to all-seasons anytime soon. The little extra edge (they werent super-dedicated tires, Hankook W300's) was way worth it to me, but winters in Maine are terrible.

My vote is the Goodyears while the price is still low, I had all 4 shipped to my garage for under $400.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I have the ECSTA ASX's on my car. I like 'em so far but if you're car isn't aligned properly and the air pressure isn't at or above reccomendations then the edges of the tires will wear out rather quickly.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I have the Goodyear tires and I have been very pleased with them, they certainly wear better than the stock Continental tires.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I suggest reading the on-line tire rack tests. The customer reviews are ok but a little biased in my opinion. Tire rack pulls no punches in their test opinions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts