Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yakima Q tower owners:

I'm installing the front q towers on my Focus, but these Q5 clips don't seem to fit flush.

I installed them and assumed they're normal, but when I installed the rears with the Q83s, those seemed to fit much better.

gap with door closed:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/l...FLcLVnaHVjOtuf_5cdKPyDc3jcl8mZ9zuo=w1896-h835

gap with door open:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0...U5unumGA_iHpYKLv3wKJpHFSi4X9npf2TQ=w1896-h835

All my M measurements seem to be correct. the towers are both the same distance from the rubber strip on the roof. Any tricks to getting the Q5 clips to fit flush or is this just the way they look?

The sticker was applied to the clip, but the force when tightened caused the clips to want to pull away from the car causing the sticker to pull away from the clip.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yakima originally spec'd Q128s front and rear; I bought them and they worked great. Yakima later recalled this recommendation and I exchanged them for Q5/Q83s as suggested.

I had the same problem you do with the 5/83s and concluded they were just plain dangerous to use. Going back to the Q128s solved the problem. Yakima's a great company but this one puzzles me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Same thing here..not really an issue to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 83s to me actually seem secure and fitted.

The Q5 on its own seemed like it could fit, but when installed, the tower seems to be to low on the roof to give a proper angle for the q5.

I sent Yakima the pictures I took so maybe they have some official insight.

Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
I will take a pic of mine today and post it (with 5s on the front). I have had to knock them back against the roof a few times but other than that, secure as far as I can tell...I mean...my bike hasn't flown off yet [thumb]

·
Registered
1 Posts
the 83s to me actually seem secure and fitted.

The Q5 on its own seemed like it could fit, but when installed, the tower seems to be to low on the roof to give a proper angle for the q5.

I sent Yakima the pictures I took so maybe they have some official insight.

Thanks
majorChibi,

Did you ever hear back from Yakima? I just picked up a system and had the EXACT same problem on my '14 Focus Hatchback with the Q5's in the front. I didn't discover the problem until right after Yakima's offices closed for the weekend, and I've been steaming over it for days. So what did they tell you?

-Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts