Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally planning on going with the PowerWorks SC but now I have decided to go Roush Turbo.

Now my question is should I stay with my 2000 intake mani or should I swap to the SVT Mani.

Which will work best with the Roush Turbo?

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
The SVT Mani won't even work on the Roush, the TB is in a completely different location.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i was thinking the same, but dont u have to retune after doing int. manifold on turbo?
i feel my manifold is not as good as it could be., would definitely interested though

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would say if you are going to chang MANIs go with a cast piece. The plastic pieces can give out under HIGH boost applications. They crack and such wich is BAD. The SVT swap will run 300 to 400 anyway so just save a extra 200 and buy the FRPP. O
If you dont, then the SVT will make more power, but the Y2K is cheaper.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
yeah i'm gonna go the frpp route. i already have the frpp head, and since the head, intake mani, and 70mm tb are made to be with each other, i really don't see a better setup. hopefully the roush kit by the summer. that's the plan for me.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The SVT manifold is junk.

I dont care what the dumb asses in the Zetec forum claim about "all the extra power" they claim to see from using the SVT manifold. The SVT manifold has a HUGE restriction in it when running the long runners.. which you will be doing 90% of the time.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:

I dont care what the dumb asses in the Zetec forum claim about "all the extra power" they claim to see from using the SVT manifold. The SVT manifold has a HUGE restriction in it when running the long runners.. which you will be doing 90% of the time.
im with him

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:

THANK YOU, ive been saying that forever!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
If you ever get the chance... look into the SVT manifold... you'll see the restriction, you cant miss it... it's that big.

What the Zetec guys are feeling is the switchover from long to short runners... the engine gets louder when this happens... which makes it seem to have "alot more power"

I still havent seen any DYNO sheets to back up their claims.

·
Registered
415 Posts
SVTR mani is good for a stock SVT, turbo Ehhh no. Get A FRP mani and be happy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love to go with the FR MAni and TB, which would go great with my FRH head and Stage 2 cams but the price is steep! It's about $1000 for the TB/mani combo.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
I have to agree the SVT is far more trouble then it is worth and those that say it makes more power have never posted a dyno to back it up

Look into the FR intake or keep the stock intake , the 2000 ZX3 runs slightly better if you dont have that , I have made over 300HP on many ZX3 stock intakes

Tom

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can tell you we ran an SVT intake on a class 10 (1600cc buggy) motor at Esslinger on the engine dyno and the manifold worked pretty well. We never went back-to-back with a stocker, but it made 240 (IIRC) or so normally-aspirated with an out-of-the-box SVT intake...it was de-stroked to 1600, so that's not a bad deal at all, power-wise. I think you'd be hard-pressed to say the stock, no-plenum volume intake would do that.

The interesting thing was that we didn't have a way to control the IMRC on the dyno, so we ran it open, closed and faked it out (cut a zip-tie) to open at 5000 or so. Closed, it made good torque down low, open, it was a pig until 5000...open it around 5000 and the powerband looked pretty decent.

FWIW -- I don't see any big "restriction" in there...at least not anything any worse than the stocker. I just bought one and I have about a hundred million baseline runs (j/k) from a dyno class I taught over the summer...so I guess I'll know for sure pretty soon.

As for what a turbo needs versus what an NA motor needs...flow is flow, whether it's under increased pressure or not. All the tuned length are the same and everything acts the same. If it works NA, it'll work turbo and vice-versa.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
But for the trouble would it be worth it ? vs say a FR intake or the slightly better flowing 2000 ZX3 intake

The lower intake part isnt a direct bolt on so some work is needed to get it to fit the ZX3 head
Then you have to deal with the IMRC unit as well as have something hooked to it to trigger it coming on at the same RPM all the time

I built the same turbo kit for both cars , Yes the SVT made slightly more power at the same boost but i think most of that was coming from the higher compression

Great numbers out of the 1600 Joe what was the compression?

Tom

1 - 20 of 34 Posts