Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week a customer brought his SVT to my shop for a Xios Turbo kit install , Now that the kit is installed and time for a tune Focussport refuses to send Xios the Tune because it is at Focus-Power for the install
The Xios web site states that "• Software tuned by FocusSport™ on supplied SCT XCAL2 " The customer got his xcal but with NO tuning installed and focussport fefuses to send it to Xios

Everyone wonders and makes comments about why im down on FS well this is why, This is MAJOR BS , I (Focus-Power) have been tuning the SVT sence 2002 about 3 years before FS tuned there first SVT , randy stated to the Customer that Tom would read the ECU and get a copy of the tune, I could care less about a copy of FS tune, I have the tuning on 95% of the most powerfull and longest running high HP/TQ SVT in the US what the crap would I need a copy of his for, randy uses SCT and so can I , I have both Diablo and SCT and there isnt anything in FS software that isnt in mine there is nothing that FS can change that F-P cannot change and goes both ways

Im sure randy will come up with some BS story to tell as to why he wont and I dont care this is CRAP and the Customer is the one suffering whers FS high customer care now ?

The Xios web site does not say "• Software tuned by FocusSport™ on supplied SCT XCAL2 " Unless you take it to Focus-Power for the install

I feel Xios is cought in the middle here between a good Customer wanting what he paid for and a non customer friendly company (focus sport) just being an ass

The Xios Co has been great to deal with and I talked to Andreas about this and told him how I felt about customers NOT getting there tuning just because the Xios kit is being installed here , There has been some fitment issues with the kit but Xios has done everything in there power to help to try and correct them more to come on that in another thread

In all fairness I must say that Xios is working with this customer to help cover MOST of the cost for a custom dyno tune from Focus-Power (550.00) this didnt come till the customer talked directly with FS and got nowhere with randy , This kit gets sent out to other shops that do installs as well but they all got there tunes ,

My question to everyone is. Is this fair to the customer or the potential customers of Xios ?

Should it matter where the kit for installation as to if you get a tune or not ? If you take your SVT to McNews are you chancing not getting a tune there either? Who knows ?

Tom

·
Registered
316 Posts
I personally think this is total BS. I personally know the person whos car is there and he didnt not take it to Tom so that a pissing contest would start, he just want the items in question to be professionally installed.

I really don't know what to say. Best of luck to you Tom, and the poor SVT in question.

-- James

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
did you really expect anything less tom? come on now we can't even post about a focus gtg at your place

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't know if I'm 100% clear on what's going on but can't the guy just "flash" the car himself without going thru Tom? Also, how do you read tuning files, SCT Pro Racer?

·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So can't the guy just "flash" the car himself without going thru Tom?
How the SVT is here with 60lb injectors in it and ready to be started then dynoed to make sure it is safe but no tune yet

Tom

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I don't know if I'm 100% clear on what's going on but can't the guy just "flash" the car himself without going thru Tom? Also, how do you read tuning files, SCT Pro Racer?
Randy refused to send the tune b/c the customer had Tom do the install for fear of "Tom getting a copy of the tune"... It's soooo retarded I'm in disbelief... All randy needs to do is send the customer the tune.. It's THAT easy...but he won't...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm just trying to understand how things work so bare with me for a moment. Is it true that you (or any tuner for that matter) "has the ability" to copy the tune from Xios/FS? If so, do tuners generally make it a practice to send "their tune" to other tuners? Just curious, not taking sides or anything.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow I dont even know what to say to this Tom... I mean I agree with the one posted before this is bs....

I hope this stupid issue is resolved very soon as I am this customers ride down to pick his svt up, and I cant wait to see what you can do with it [race]

[boxface] Focus Sport [boxface] but thats just my persional feeling...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well there's two important factors to consider in the matter..
1) If it was included in the kit price and was paid for in full, does it matter?
2) Is it in the practice of a tuner (or any business) to deny a product sale based upon what they "think" may happen with it?

What if Sony pictures would only sell a movie (VHS/DVD) to people who have a Sony video player?

"This DVD is only $24.99!! *unless you are using a panasonic/pioneer unit because then you might copy our movie."

I know that the kit (WITH the tune) has been sent out to other individuals (who may be tuners themselves) for a self-install, and to people having them installed by a local shop of their choice (who again, may be able to pull the tune) but it didn't stop Randy then.

So where's the ground to stand on of "not wanting intellectual property in other people's hands who may have the ability/desire to extract the tune"?

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
the fact is he paid for it and didnt get his tune. thats retarded. FS sucks....

·
Registered
492 Posts
You can kinda understand if you stretch your sympathy/empathy beyond normal limits.... but from a buyer's point of view, imagine how that comes off.

There's always a chance, but that's what "risk" is involved with business.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
yes there are ways to copy a tune. So I can understand where Randy is standing.

WRONG.. There's only ONE way to get a tune once that tune is on a xcal2 and that is by having the tune loaded onto a cars ecu and then pulled off the ECU.. You CANNOT get that tune off of it just by hooking the xcal2 up to a computer. The only way would be to pull it off the ECU. That would be the only way for Tom to get the tune. Tom doesn't need Randy's tune, but the customer sure could use it...

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
But why does it matter if Tom gets the tune anyways, it's just software and it's software that Tom could probably re-create with relative ease...it just sucks for the customer that FS is not willing to accommodate said SVT owner.

·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually NO there is NO WAY to open and look at a SCT .LL3 file they are encrypted and SCT even sais they cannot open them in LL3 and im sure randy sends out all his files in ll3 form so they cannot be looked at

Now can I load the tune then copy the the files on the ECU then make a tune file from it, yes I can but this does not change the facts at hand. The customer paid for a tune and isnt getting it and what the crap would I need a copy of the FS tune for thats like Sony asking Pioneer for a copy of how to make a colored television

I share my tunes openly with McNews and many many other shops ans McNews has even send me some

These are not that days of just learning how to tune the SVT that was back in 02-04 yes things were secrets then and people were learning. Those days are long gone, He has sent this same tune out to other tuning/install shops and if I had wanted a copy I could of got my hands on a ECU with the FS/Xios tune already loaded in it 3 months ago

Tom

·
Registered
500 Posts
Randy knows that tom would make a better tune lol...
Now now james be nice! [rofl]

I can understand him not wanting Tom to have the tune but its not Tom who wants it. It is the customer who PAYED for the tune and is takeing the car to a tuner who just happens to be Tom to have it tuned..... How would you feel if you payed for something and then were told you wouldnt be shipped it? Yeah exactly you would want your product or your money back.

·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the sake of argument lets say the tunes could be copied why is he sending them out to others that are going to shops for installs and dynos for safety checks and he wont send them to this customer ? Your argument does not make any sence

Tom

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
LOL, so I guess if you get it installed at any other focus shop (massive,focus power, CFM, ext...) you will not get your tune from Randy, what a joke. Where are you at Randy, why dont you come in here and explain yourself why you charged a customer for something and will not give it to him. If not give him a full refund for the price of the X-cal and tune. The $550.00 dollars that it is going to cost him on top off the $4,000.00 he just spent. You and you high and mighty customer service. So I guess he wont get any free tune updates from you guys either [rolleyes]

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.