Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am talking this over with Tom but want to throw it out there and see if there is any interest

I have 2 locked xcals

For those that dont know what a xcal is , it is a devise that can load tunes to the Focus (these 2 are locked) Datalog and check and clear a CEL = Check Engine Light

You would need a Focus , Laptop internet at car and Phone , I am willing to put in the time to help as I can and take over your laptops remote and set up the datalog list , look over your logs and tell you what I see may be the issue all at no charge

I would ship out the xcal , we would datalog and then it would be your responsibility to ship it to the next guy on the list , you paying the shipping , tracking and Ins , Tracking and Ins is a MUST this would show that you sent it and thats its insured if lost , when the guy you shipped it to receives it he post he got it and it keeps moving , with 2 xcal we should be able to help 4 +/- people a week from guessing and changing costly parts that are not bad

Any thoughts ?

I know of no other message board offering this type of help to its community

Tom

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Yeah, a locked XCal is fairly useless to keep except for diagnosis purposes. The only issue I see is that eventually someone is going to lose it, or someone's "friend" is going to take it not realizing that it's most desired function can't be used. I recommend etching your name and number on the outside of it- but you probably already thought of that. Barring stupid people, it's a great idea Tom.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Great promotional idea!!!

Yeah, a locked XCal is fairly useless to keep except for diagnosis purposes. The only issue I see is that eventually someone is going to lose it, or someone's "friend" is going to take it not realizing that it's most desired function can't be used. I recommend etching your name and number on the outside of it- but you probably already thought of that. Barring stupid people, it's a great idea Tom.
I 2nd that^^^ Plus it would get some people acustomed to the product, so they would get one for them self's.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^Also a very good point.

As with most things you've done Tom, I think this is another very commendable and 'human' service you're willing to provide. I don't see why FF Tom wouldn't let you do this.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I bet nobody can top that offer, very nice of you Tom. Maybe a deposit through PayPal and the next person receiving reimburses the sender and so on.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I think it is an AWESOME idea! I could use one of them right now, would save me a lot of time and money. Very awesome idea Tom, I am definately interested, sign me up.

Jayson

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
So this will help the people with engine problems? Say a miss, bad coil pack, vacuum leak, etc.?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both are locked to wrecked cars and I bought them , they will not load tunes but will datalog and check and clear the CEL

Tom has had nothing but good to say about the idea were just kicking around the best way to do it

I didnt actually think about etching my name and # in it Hmmmm ?, if there a member of FF will be the only way they can get it and they have to put there name in the forun as wanting it next and the last guy has to post it was shipped , have a tracking # to cover him self and the new guy getting it would need to post that he received it , I would like each person to not have it more then 2 or 3 days tops and then send it out again

Tom

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
OK, I am willing to be the first. Here is my info...

Jayson Kirsch
5442 W Bellfort
Houston, TX 77035
832-361-5896

Please request driver to leave at apartment office

After I am done with it, I will be more than happy to ship it to the next person that needs it, via UPS with tracking and insurance, and will post tracking number.

I am totally onboard, I think this is a GREAT idea!!

Thank you Tom, I am speachless in the face of your generocity.

Jayson

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Oh, BTW Tom, I can tether my laptop to my mobile for internet access, however I can't talk on the phone while on the net. I can communicate vie IM however if need be. I hope this can be done.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You'll be fine Justin- copy and paste to here.

OH, that's one thing we haven't thought of yet Tom, when you start your actual thread where the list will be- you will want to put in links to SCT Live Link software download pages for the appropriate XCal. Everyone will want to have that installed before getting the XCal, and a few simple pictures for a How-To of each step would speed things up a bit as well.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree , I was hoping when we started this it could be a sticky and only the people needing it , responding sending or receiving it could post

Maybe when they send the xcal to the next guy they could do a very short to the point there symptoms and what they changed to fix the issue , we can talk about that

I think here in the tech chat would be the best place for it , what do you think?

Tom

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Doesnt the Xcal need the USB drivers for the laptop to communicate with the handheld?

Not sure if the xcal has the drivers once its plugged into the USB or if its in the updater program?

I install both the updater and livelink but maybe in this case they will not need the updater?

Im curious to see the datalog list.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I applaud your idea!
Maybe a "moderator" could have the ability/responsibility to ban a person from the forums if they fail to return it in a reasonable time?
(just trying to keep honest people honest...)

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I think here in the tech chat would be the best place for it , what do you think?

Tom
Works for me, I'll sticky it, there are a couple of threads that can be removed from that list right now anyway.

Maybe a "moderator" could have the ability/responsibility to ban a person from the forums if they fail to return it in a reasonable time?
We'll see what happens [whip] I don't think there will be any problems- aside of common forgetfulness. Maybe we'll be able to definitively solve some of the more crazy issues not caused by the usual suspects.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts