Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have an 06 zx3... 2.0L but is it a zetec is it duratec or neither? its stock but it doesnt say nething on it... and i wanna put a turbo on it but i dont really kno much about them... can i have some opinions on witch one to get and if it comes as a kit prefferbly.. will it come with everything i need or will i have to by additional parts?
thanx

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
yep you have a 2.0 duratec. do you have an auto or manual transmission?

either way you have 2 options turbo wise.. one from focussport.com and one from f2usa.com

the focussport kit has been around for years and the f2 one was just recently released. both are kits that bolt right up to the car. an exhaust would be needed, preferrably 2.5+ inches in diameter. focussport has over 75 kits out there, f2 has 3. i have the focussport kit and i love it. my car is very fast and ive already put 15000 miles on the kit. with both kits you get free tuning for the life of the kit even when you upgrade (ex. building internals, new non-radical cams, intake mani, head, etc) but with focussport you undoubtably get faster tuning (they do their own tunes, f2 subs it out). the f2 kit is a little cheaper for the stage 2 and you get a couple additional things with it.

personally i suggest focussport's kit. focussport seems to be much better with customer service than f2 and has better support. They also have an in house dyno and have perfected their tunes over the past few years. plus there are several kits with dozens of thousands of miles, one has over 70,000 boosted i believe, and is still running strong. there is no doubt in the reliability of the focussport kit.

with your 2.0 if you have a manual you can make 220whp/230wtq with the focussport kit on the stock engine (though you would probably need a new clutch/flywheel as the stock slips at around 205wtq). with the auto, you can make around 200whp/wtq before you risk damaging your automatic tranny, so youll run lower boost. youll also want a new atb differential if you have a manual to help with traction. the f2 kit does not have dyno numbers posted yet.. on the focaljet we are trying to get a competition between the kits going.

to put it into perspective though, with good tires and suspension, manual transmission, and a differential, with your car with the focussport kit you could run solidly in the 13s in the 1/4 mile which is better than cars such as the srt4 neon, and basically equal to awd cars like the evo, sti, and youll be faster over 45mph.

if you have any questions at all or want some more advice feel free to PM me. people do it very often and im always here to help :)

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
^^^ Bingo. Focussport has been offering the full kit, or the tuner version, which lets you kinda pick what you wanna go with on some things. Haven't heard much about the f2 kit, but i'm sure its quality kit.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
both kits use quality parts. the f2 kit uses aluminum piping, the focussport kit uses black powdercoated steel i believe. the focussport kit looks very stock, the f2 kit the opposite. focussport uses a garret turbo, f2 uses a master power turbo or garrett turbos.

1 of the 3 f2 kits blew their engine because of a bad tune which they knew about and instructed the guy to drive the car to the tuning shop and just not get into boost, and thats what killed his motor because he did boost. f2 replaced the engine for him and now that kit is running fine. apparently it was something with the size of the intake piping. either way though, i think things like that should be taken care of before the customer gets the kit, just my opinion.

and also like i said, f2 subs out their tunes so if you need adjustments you have to wait much longer, not sure if remote tuning is available. focussport does in house tuning and adjusts things whenever you need them to be adjusted. for instance i was working on something for my tune yesterday with Randy (focussport's vp and tuner) through email and i received a few different tunes to try in a matter of hours (trying to get revs to fall fast). and the customer service is excellent at focussport.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
ya i would get a focus sport kit if i had a duratec motor for sure

·
Registered
708 Posts
Focussport makes a great kit.

Talk to them and see, depending on what power you want to make, you may have to upgrade some internals to make them withstand the PSI.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
I'm the guy who blew the piston rings off of pistons 3 and 4. Got a newer engine for free installed a tuned. I pick it up monday. F2 has great customer service. They also can remote tune your car aswell. The F2 kit comes in two versions, tuned and non tuned. Both come with intercoolers, turbo smart BOV hybrid(divert, blow off, or a combo of both), oil sump baffle, and AEM wideband along with all the piping, turbo, header, downpipe and all the other stuff you need. With my car the last pull that I heard from F2 was pushing 244 on 11-12 psi on me 2.0L duratec. I will have the final numbers and pictures when I pick up the car.
The non tuned kit is $2,695.00.

http://www.f2usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3250& zenid=25f5e5e56a636609d92ae89740214525

Here is the tuned kit. $3,450.00

http://www.f2usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1668& zenid=25f5e5e56a636609d92ae89740214525

P.S. They're working on updating the pics on there web site. The pics for the turbo kit are accuatly the stage 1 mazda 3 kit.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Either kit is alot of money so i wouldnt gamble on a non proven F2 kit go with FocusSport.No one has any miles on the F2 kit so no one can say if it will or will not have problems until they actually get a few on the road with some miles on them.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Thats just becuase the kit is new. I'm sure someone has said that when FS came out with there first turbo ever.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thats just becuase the kit is new. I'm sure someone has said that when FS came out with there first turbo ever.
Thats correct new and UNPROVEN as of yet.

The first FocusSport kit that came out didnt pop someones engine because of the wrong tune either actually he now has several thousand miles on that kit.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Well this isn't the first kit. They were trying a new intake which through the tune off as stated above by streetracer. We switched back to the other intake and F2 has decided to stay with that one because that set up has proven itself. There is an auto duratec that has been running around with the F2 kit on it for some time now. There are pics of it on FJ somewhere. That is the same car they tested the kit on orignally.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well this isn't the first kit. They were trying a new intake which through the tune off as stated above by streetracer. We switched back to the other intake and F2 has decided to stay with that one because that set up has proven itself. There is an auto duratec that has been running around with the F2 kit on it for some time now. There are pics of it on FJ somewhere. That is the same car they tested the kit on orignally.
So they were still doing R&D on ther kit and used your car to test a new intake then you drove your car without verifying the tune was correct and safe for the new intake and the engine blew up because you hit boost.

So your saying the F2 kit has proven itself with only two known kits yours(which blew the engine) and the one on the automatic car (with how many miles on the kit now?).[screwy]

·
Registered
315 Posts
So they were still doing R&D on ther kit and used your car to test a new intake then you drove your car without verifying the tune was correct and safe for the new intake and the engine blew up because you hit boost.

So your saying the F2 kit has proven itself with only two known kits yours(which blew the engine) and the one on the automatic car (with how many miles on the kit now?).[screwy]
Dude, seriously, are you a secret shopper for FS or something? This is like the 2nd thread here and at least one on FJ that I have seen you flaming this guy cause he had an F2 kit. Who gives a shite that his engine blew, he got a FREE one to replace it. Good for you to be so loyal to FS, but damn, let the OP make his own decisions

·
Registered
656 Posts
Dude, seriously, are you a secret shopper for FS or something? This is like the 2nd thread here and at least one on FJ that I have seen you flaming this guy cause he had an F2 kit. Who gives a shite that his engine blew, he got a FREE one to replace it. Good for you to be so loyal to FS, but damn, let the OP make his own decisions
He already made his decision and i could care less how many times his engine blows with the kit.He keeps posting in the same threads about how great the kit is and has 0 miles on the car since it was installed that is ALL im saying.

And no im not a secret shopper for FS or something and i could care less that they chaped your @ss because you bought one of there kit's used and didn't want to pay them for there tuning.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Look all I have to say is this. I was just adde]ing to what streetracer was saying about this kits. That is all. Also why would a shop not fix any problems with there kits. Thats horrable for business. I don't think anyone will have any probs with there F2 kits due to what happend. F2 when throught everything on my car to make sure that was the issue. The parts are solid. The tune is now the proper one for the car. Also how about the guys that build there own turbos. You don't see people putting them down because they didn't buy the FS turbo for there car even if they have issues with the install. I put out the facts about both kits like F2 uses aluminum pipes and FS uses steal. Those are the facts I put out. Every car is different. They may be built the same but every one puts out a little bit different power even with the exact same parts. Also were there people who were saying the FS kit was unproven when if first came out. I'm sure there were plenty. However look at them now. If you give any companie time you can see how happy or unhappy they will make customers.

One last thing. On FJ there is talk about possible in August (not confirmed yet) about a turbo show down. Both companies are going to supply a turbo kit to a third part using the same focus not two focuses. Then there going to judge the kits by ease of install and power from the same dyno. I'm thinking boths kits will be putting out about the same power personally.

So as of right now its all about how much do you want to pay for your turbo. Its that simple.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Oh and one more thing anyone in Socal near Camarillo is welcome to get ahold of me and we can set something up so I can some them the kit in person. Maybe even let them test it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
He already made his decision and i could care less how many times his engine blows with the kit.He keeps posting in the same threads about how great the kit is and has 0 miles on the car since it was installed that is ALL im saying.

And no im not a secret shopper for FS or something and i could care less that they chaped your @ss because you bought one of there kit's used and didn't want to pay them for there tuning.
Cool, I'm glad you could care less, and yep, I'm not gonna pay full price for a used kit tune when they state that there is different pricing. And I'm so over it. I sold that kit awhile ago. Not gonna lose any sleep over it[sleeping]

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
in my honest opinion, the f2 kit looks like a great deal from a glance. but a few things i want to point out.

it does use aluminum tubing, but it doesnt look stock at all. one thing i love about my focussport kit is that it looks completely stock besides the intercooler. i pop the hood and people cant even tell i have a turbo. the black powdercoated piping makes it look stock, as well as how the piping is run.

also, focussport knows the limits of the duratecs. f2 im not so sure. im not saying f2 doesnt know, but the general consensus is on the 2.0 running anything over 240whp is pushing it and with the 2.3 anything over 265whp is pushing it. our rods suck. nothing against f2, but they sub out their tunes. there is no way to know how reliable the tune will be until someone has put tens of thousands of miles on the kit. focussport's kits could make more power, but focussport DOESNT want them to. or else theyd risk damaging the motor..

focussport also has a dedicated section on the focaljet for turbo/supercharger purchasers. it is a PRICELESS resource. if you ever have any questions or comments you can instantly get help from people with the same kit and from focussport's various reps. randy for instance posts throughout the day and ive seen him posting things past midnight. f2 doesnt have anything like that. and i also know that getting ahold of f2 can be hard at times, but ive never heard of any issues with focussport.

bottom line yes f2s kit is a little cheaper, but the most important thing when it comes to boosting a car is reliability, 2nd is performance. focussport's kit has been proven to be super reliable. f2 def not. also, focussports kit make great power (im makin about 250whp and 245wtq at 11psi) and have great hp and torque curves. the f2 dyno graphs havent been shown yet.. the first ones i saw a while back were bhp too, not whp.

whenever the competition on the focaljet gets underway im sure we'll find out more about both kits and see how they stack up, but right now based on the information about both kits and previous info, i say focussport ftw!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Cool, I'm glad you could care less, and yep, I'm not gonna pay full price for a used kit tune when they state that there is different pricing. And I'm so over it. I sold that kit awhile ago. Not gonna lose any sleep over it[sleeping]
Glad it all worked out for you.[sleeping] well

1 - 20 of 32 Posts