Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I was recently making an exhaust video when I came to the realization my car was making a weird noise. The reasons I had never previously heard it is because I always drive with either my windows down, my music on, or both. It gives off no noticeable vibrations. Maybe just a tiny tiny bit, however I might just be saying that now because I know the problem exists. Previously, I had felt nothing. I believe its either a bad wheel bearing, which is a possibility because one wheel has a dent in it suggesting it had banged into something pretty hard and one has a slight bend to it. It may also be a wheel that is out of balance because although the wheels seem to have been balanced accordingly to their imperfections, who knows maybe a little weight has fallen off or maybe I have bent one of the rims even more. Also, maybe one of my axles or axle bearings is bad. I don't know much about this but my dad claimed it could be this. Could even be the brakes for all I know. I am pretty competent when it comes to repairing things but diagnosing what something is, just isn't one of my strengths lol. I have a link to the exhaust video below. The sound I am talking about is the WUBWUBWUB you hear at 1:47 and a few other times in the video when I let off the gas and slow down. Just have a listen and share your opinion. If you have any other questions that may help, i'll do my best to answer anything. Thanks :) Link to the video is below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXS_e_1oUnA

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I thought I'd heard the sound you're talking about in the video, and then I read what you'd posted and I do feel you are on the right track ... but, somewhere around the 4 minute mark I thought it got louder as you where braking. That might mean it'd be a brake issue, loose pad or caliper maybe.

That light was red buddy, lol.

For anyone else who watches the video, everything after about 7 minutes is useless. With both windows down there is too much wind noise.

I can't tell if the noise is coming from the front or the back. I want to say the front would be more likely as it was more prevalent under braking. That is putting a higher load on the front made the noise louder/stronger.
The odd thing though is I never heard it change frequency, as anything speed related should. Not sure how to deal with that.

Jack the car up and fashion some kind of straight edge onto the rim and spin it to see if it's true.

I take it the tires are waring evenly?

And just a shot from the hip but, make sure your lug nuts are tight.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I recently had a bad axle sound like a really bad wheel bearing. Jack the front of the vehicle, trans in N, and rotate your wheels to see if you hear wheel bearing grrrrrr. If you hear some really fast clicking while you rotate, then get under the car with your head close to the CV, and listen while you rotate the wheel. If you hear a sound like someone running a card through the spokes of a bicycle wheel- then that's the inner CV going bad. That's what mine was, and yeah, it made a loud roar while braking.

This really should be in Tech chat since bearings and CVs aren't SVT specific- but I'll leave it up to you if you want me to move it there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would love to see pics of your tires, Turn the wheel to full lock in both directions and inspect. My car did that and it went away with new tires. My tires were shot and had bad belts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked all the lug nuts, all was well. Tires seem to be wearing evenly, will post pictures up in a bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Checked all the lug nuts, all was well. Tires seem to be wearing evenly, will post pictures up in a bit.
If you have a bad belt in your tire, You wont normally see it unless you know what your looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts