Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i am having a problem with my focus. i have the hr cup kit and i love it to death. but when i get on the freeway my car seems feel like its going from side to side and its kinda scary at times. this is only at speeds of 65 70 mph. i am still runing stock sway bars could this have anything to do with it at all. i had the car alligned and wheels balcened so i don't think that is the case. please help all opinons welcom

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Maybe check the alignment? Sound like its off. You should have it checked by a shop that knows how to align a car that has been lowered (very important).

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Is the car tramming (aka tram lining), following grooves in the highway? This is not uncommon with certain tires and tread patterns. A stiffer suspension can also contribute to the problem. If this is the case, the only thing you can do is experiment with tire pressures. Its unlikely you'll make it totally go away.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
How much is your car lowered?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Geezer said:
Is the car tramming (aka tram lining), following grooves in the highway? This is not uncommon with certain tires and tread patterns. A stiffer suspension can also contribute to the problem. If this is the case, the only thing you can do is experiment with tire pressures. Its unlikely you'll make it totally go away.

I agree with Geezer - I personally had the same problem when I put on aftermarket tires (Falken Ziex). I didn't totaly get rid of the problem but after I deflated my front and rear tires from 45 psi to about 30 psi, it's not as noticable.

·
Registered
373 Posts
the cup kit is almost 2 inches on the svt. thats too low imo. but yeah the back and forth you feel on the highway is probably the rippled driving surface from 10-20 ton trucks driving on it and making groves. is it worse under acceleration like torque steer? Oh and snake bite, you should take your psi to 35 at least or else your tires are gonna wear too quickly on the edges and not in the center.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yeah, definitely too low on those PSIs. That's low enough that you are going to have extra stress on the sidewall of the tire from supporting the vehicle without enough inflation. Remember those Explorers that flipped? That's precisely what happened...

I'd say that the 2 inch drop has given you a bump steer problem, as the tie rod is no longer in line with the hub. I don't know if that kit lets you adjust the ride height, but I bet if you knocked it back up an inch or so you would see that problem go away, and you would actually handle better.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yeah, the h&r cup kit gives the focus a nice stance but actually deteriorates handling more than improves it. the spring rates are way too low for optimal handling. they do that because they know they can't sell a product that will create daily driving nightmares. If the spring rate matched the ride height, the ride would be so harsh you couldn't drive it around town.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts