Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, need a little help here. Been searching with no luck. I had an ORP, with Tom's tune. Swapped it out for a HFC. Installed new O2 sensors, pulled Tom's tune and reinstalled the stock one, I think, can't really tell. I now have a vegetable soup medley of codes. been resetting the pc, cleaned the batt terminals, changed pcv valve, checked for vacuum leaks and shot the neighbor's dog to no avail. Here are the codes and meanings:
U1027- Invalid missing engine rpm data
U1009-Standard communication protocol invalid missing engine torque data
P1131-Lack of heated O2 sensor Bank 1
P1246- Alt load input failed

Any ideas?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Call Tom ASAP

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would that be?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'd say he's making that suggestion based on "I think I reinstalled the stock tune".

Problem with loading/reloading tune would be his area of expertise.

Otherwise the guess would be wiring harness problems from the recent work.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I restored the original back up, watched it go through all the monitor tests, only to see the dreaded p0420 code pop up. I have new O2 sensors front and back, motorcrap as well. Now what should I hit with a hammer. Kinda tired of this already.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
31,094 Posts
U1027- Invalid missing engine rpm data
U1009-Standard communication protocol invalid missing engine torque data
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* Only thing that comes to mind for these 2 is the crank trigger sensor , its easy to remove and see if the end closest to the fly wheel is scratched up and being rubbed on by the fly whl

P1131-Lack of heated O2 sensor Bank 1
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* common code to get , if the o2 is working it isnt an issue unless you get it daily
P1246- Alt load input failed
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* Another common code for the SVT , could mean you Alt pigtail is bad or Alt isnt charging , use the datalogger to check your Alt voltage under load

Were you getting any of those with the tune in ?

Tom

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom, the only code I'm getting now is the P0420 and the tune is not in. I was getting those with the tune in.
ShelbyGt, I am running a Dominant Engineering HFC. Let's hope that I don't get a P0420 just because of a HFC, that would really suck right now. Considering I am running all v-band clamps hardware and the stock cat is old school stuff. I just need to pass emissions. Running on expired tags because I can't pass right now.

BTW, elderfocus........lol, I need to have you send me a tune after I pass emissions. If I ever pass.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am running a Dominant Engineering HFC. Let's hope that I don't get a P0420 just because of a HFC,
Good luck with that.
I am in the Dominic Biro is a charlatan and thief camp after my parts broke and he said to send them back to him for replacement. Once he got them, crickets.

·
FF Affiliate
31,094 Posts
Tom, the only code I'm getting now is the P0420 and the tune is not in. I was getting those with the tune in.
ShelbyGt, I am running a Dominant Engineering HFC. Let's hope that I don't get a P0420 just because of a HFC, that would really suck right now. Considering I am running all v-band clamps hardware and the stock cat is old school stuff. I just need to pass emissions. Running on expired tags because I can't pass right now.

BTW, elderfocus........lol, I need to have you send me a tune after I pass emissions. If I ever pass.
Just let me know when your ready , update your xcal why you have the stock tune in the car then reload my tune and see if the codes come back , If they do I will send them to SCT and see what they say and we can try a stock tune to see if they are still there

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
My CEL came on with a Dominant Eng HFC. Had to use plug anti-foulers to clear it. It was fine for the first month or two then CEL came on, then off, then on and stayed on.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom, I have a diablosport predator.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is a plug anti fouler?

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. The issue is with the front O2 sensor. Bank 1.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
P0420 was the most recent code mentioned, you can see description here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59286

A number of possible causes for the poor CAT efficiency code, powderfinger was referring to a fix for the CAT not cleaning up the exh. enough to make the PCM happy.

Your first post mentioned a code for 02 heater, bank one - thought that one was cleared up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for the info. The issue is with the front O2 sensor. Bank 1.
Both O2 sensors on inline four cylinder engines are Bank 1.
The pre Cat sensor is Bank 1, Sensor 1.
The after cat sensor is Bank 1, Sensor 2

The P0420 code is due to the front O2 sensor switching as it should and the rear O2 (Bank 1, Sensor 2) closely following that switching. Normally the rear O2 is a nice flat wave form that doesn't look like the front O2 sensor waveform.

http://www.easterncatalytic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/po420_fig06.jpg

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I should be able to see this in the data stream with my code reader. I can see the readings on both sensors. I'll look in the am.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have a mil adapter that might get me through the emissions.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems as though their adapter did the trick. So what did I learn?
Issue: If you have a Dominic engineering hfc, stock tune, you will get a cel.
Fix: mil adapter
Now to get an updated tune from tom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts