Focus Fanatics Forum banner

wtf lol i ran car without mass air flow and it hauled ass!!

1993 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Volcomnow
ok so i wanted to put cone filter on car without the cai tube cause well i just dont have it lol.well i unpluged the maf sensor and started the car up to see what it would sound like wiht the filter since it isnt going to work ..lemme tell ya it sounded freakn awesome! had a whistle and whine to it and everything.one thing tho runnin it like that with maf sensor unhooked made engine light come on lol
i know i can just disconnect the battery to reset ecu but i wanna know if you can really run car without MAF sensor for any extended amount of time without damaging the engine?good luck anwering this one lol
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,615 Posts
no, you can't. But if you liekt hat whistle, reaattach the MAF, then drill another hole in the tube, you'll get the same whistle, but still have the MAF

· Registered
1,195 Posts
i accidently ran it w/o it and it drove nice and sounded awesome.....til 5 minutes later....would kick really bad when i tried to accelerate and then killed itself

· Registered
4,615 Posts
thats why u want the MAF there, but have another hole drilled, to create the same whistling effect.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea its no biggy i just disconnected negative ground on battery and reset the check engine light and bought a matrix adapter to hook up my cone filter with the mass air flow sensor ...runs awesome and sounds great ...picked up at least 1 1/2 to 2 hp but you can tell more from the torque! thanks for the replys.

· Registered
2,614 Posts
Having another hole in your intake after the MAF is never a good idea. It is metered air being tampered with, which can make your car run lean or rich. Usually if you losing air the engine will richin up, so the ECU will lean the car. I think my intake has a hole and it has been screwing things up from the get-go. Having your MAF unplugged also wont let your car go into closed loop, so your load calculation gets messed up in the ECU. Leave the MAF plugged in, and get rid of the air leak.

· Registered
535 Posts
kenpokid said:
Having another hole in your intake after the MAF is never a good idea. It is metered air being tampered with, which can make your car run lean or rich. Usually if you losing air the engine will richin up, so the ECU will lean the car. I think my intake has a hole and it has been screwing things up from the get-go. Having your MAF unplugged also wont let your car go into closed loop, so your load calculation gets messed up in the ECU. Leave the MAF plugged in, and get rid of the air leak.
yeah, what he said.....

· Registered
98 Posts
My car has an aem cai with air bypass (which you def. want when ur in a "rain" state) and has that whistling noise. i highly recommend the aem cai!!! it sounds nice as hell!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.