Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,

so on my 05 zx4 st, if I do fairly decent acceleration from a stop....the gauges freeze (and centre odo goes off) the door light flashes, and the radio quits....as soon as ive finished accelerating, it all goes back to normal.....

but if I accelerate slowly, everything is fine.....

sigh, the only thing ive done is put a sap body kit on it.....now this....

anyone...lol?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok,

so on my 05 zx4 st, if I do fairly decent acceleration from a stop....the gauges freeze (and centre odo goes off) the door light flashes, and the radio quits....as soon as ive finished accelerating, it all goes back to normal.....

anyone...lol?
anyway to test for that?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You could buy a voltmeter pretty cheap and test it. There's videos on YouTube that show how to test it. It could also be the battery. How long since both were replaced?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Had a similar issue, stock alt 10+ yrs old, the regulator that is built in was weak, andthe positive bolt corroded to the point it snapped off when I went to take it off

My guess is it's the same issue, it's not hard to replace, you literally have to man handle the pipes out of the way (which is safe btw)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a similar issue, stock alt 10+ yrs old, the regulator that is built in was weak, andthe positive bolt corroded to the point it snapped off when I went to take it off

My guess is it's the same issue, it's not hard to replace, you literally have to man handle the pipes out of the way (which is safe btw)
oh, i read it was a bitch to replace (the alternator)

do you know if the 2.3 / 2.0 alternator is the same....
(i have a full parts car that i got the SAP kit from with a blown motor..but new alternator...)

·
Registered
187 Posts
it may be a PITA to change an alternator, i was thinking 2.0 zetec, totally missed the '05, which should be a 2.3 duratec st

They might be interchangeable, from what i can find the '05-'07 should all be mazda L based duratec, one would think they would be almost identical aside from size and a turbo?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok,

anyone...lol?

few more things ive done / noticed....

1. swapped battery / cleaned terminals...no difference

2. tested alternator....14-15 no load...13ish under load....

3..when it happens, if headlights are on, as soon as the guages die, the lights go brighter....when it resets, they go back to as before....

4. when guages quit, only tach, speedo and the guage lights / odo quit / reset....the gas guage, temp, etc. stay working...and radio sometimes quit....with electrical rpm noise....

5 quite the loud whining sound from under the hood even at idle...(sounds like a radio with engine interference....

just dont want to swap alternator unless ive ruled out everything else.....

Cheers

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts