Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i am picking up a 2005 WRX turbo with in the next couple days and i was wondering if anyone has ever ran one on a fofo? I'm sure its kinda odd to do it but i think it will work. Its a tiny little thing but im not looking for massive horspower out of it. All i need is a manifold and down pipe. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Even if its not doable i am still buying it its almost brand new and the guys wants $50 for it hahahaha.

Andrew

BTW its a close friend of mine so im not getting screwed outta money.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
seems good, never thought of using one of those

·
Registered
755 Posts
Nothing wrong with using one at all. You just have to fab up a Manifold and downpipe. It maybe small, but anyone who has driven one of those cars knows how fast it spools. GL

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
That should be a great turbo if you're up for some custom fabrication.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound good to me, i figured it would spool fast. I just gotta figure out where to get the fabbing done at....Where can i get one of the oil filter screw on "things" that has a spacer type deal with an oil pressure line connection? I dunno what its called but hopefully you guys get what im sayin.

Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm using an '03 WRX turbo in my setup, am just getting a flange adaptor plate made up :)

Should spool up very quickly which is what I think is needed with the SVT/ST170. Its too boggy down low (maybe it's coz I don't have a tune and everything is stock)

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
The WRX is a TD05 14B I do believe.

I am using the TD05 16g on my setup, but still waiting on the motor from Tom. So no feedback yet on how it works.

However, I did use a TE04H which is smaller than the WRX Turbo. It spooled at 2200 however maxed out at like 240 - 250 hp. But it was so fun to drive as a DD!

I think you will enjoy the WRX Turbo.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, i am only looking for 250 hp anyway max for a DD....thanks for the help guys

Andrew

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
You should make a build thread when you get going on this project. I am curious how this comes out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do man, last couple things i need to know is where to drill for my return oil line and where i can get the oil filter spacer with the oil feed line fitting.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm looking forward to the build thread.
Good luck!
I have a Duratec, so I can't be much help with the oil line questions.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Will do man, last couple things i need to know is where to drill for my return oil line and where i can get the oil filter spacer with the oil feed line fitting.

Andrew
You can drill into the block skirt, or the top of the oil pan.

I would do the oil pan, and weld both the inside and out to prevent leaking.

You do not need an oil spacer, there are 2 oil taps in the block already for oil supply.

#1 By the ignition distributor
#2 By the oil filter you will see a sensor, make a T fitting and tap into that sensor.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet that will be pretty easy then. Oh yeah one other thing, do i need new injectors or will i be able to take of the fuel with Tom's help tuning....

Andrew

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
You will need at least #42.

On CFM's site they have a really good deal for the #60 Siemen Deka's for only $200. at least when I got them.

Those will reach just about any power goal you may have...safely

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stock ones just won't cut it then?

I just picked it up snapped a few pictures, its a TD04 possibly a bit smaller then an 05 but i dunno. I also noticed it has coolant lines, i didn't know it was water cooled, what kinda problems with i run into with this?

Andrew

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
none...mine is water cooled as well.

Pop the hood, look down, see the black plastic coolant log that is a long "Y" traveling horizontal. Now look at the right end (The Y) one goes right one goes left. Cut LEFT the hose, run it through the turbo, and to the other end that was cut. Your done, you now have aa water cooled turbo, and still circulate the coolant CORRECTLY to avoid over heating.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that the "Y" you were talking about? If so awesome and do you know if the td04 is smaller??

Andrew

You have been a lot of help thanks a lot, rep given...

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Yes that is the "Y" I am talking about...Not really a "Y" but you got the idea.

Is the TD04 smaller than what?

List from smallest to biggest from Turbos we have discussed in this thread.

TE04H, TD04, TD05 14B, TD05 16G

A small turbo does not mean a bad turbo....I really enjoyed my TE04H I had boost whenever I wanted, and boost came on like a supercharger.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts