Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright first off let me say I have no Idea about piston engines, my first car was an rx-7, and i've never had to work on another motor. Well i was changing the sparkplugs on my girlfriends 2004 focus 2.3l and the smart people at pep boys gave me the wrong plugs, well they were to long needless to say i started the car and all i hear clinking soun so i turn the car off immediatly. I take off the far left spark plug and there is a huge chunk of the spark plug missing. Well i got a magnet and got a bunch of the metal out, and put the old spark plugs back in. Well i try starting the car, it clicks but doesnt turn over and now the engine light is on. What do i do?!?!!? i heard newer cars have a sensor that will not let the car start until its reset, is that true or bull. Is the engine locked? i was a small amount of metal........................
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I belive there is a knock sensor, try resetting the ECU by disconecting the battery for a few min. turn the lights on to make sure its completly drained. Then try to start it again.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
there is a huge chunk of the spark plug missing
i was a small amount of metal
Huge chunk of spark plug...is not a small amount of metal to be flying around in the combustion chamber.

If resetting the knock sensor doesn't work, pull out the plug from the cylinder that had the broken piece in it.
Rotate the engine to bring the piston up to TDC (top dead center), and shine a flashlight down there.
I'm really hoping you don't see a hole in the piston. [:(]

The piece that broke off can also get lodged in one of the valves if the piston pushed it out of the cylinder.

Sucky deal about the wrong plugs, but I think you now see you shouldn't have installed them in the first place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I disconnetd the battery for ten minutes, and reconnectd it. I tried starting it but it does the same sound as before, and the check engine light is still on. How can i tell if the ecu got reset? Also i noticed the both the ground and positive cables on the battery were very hot after two tries of turning the engine on.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Doesn't seem like an ECU or knock sensor problem. Obviously you've got a mechanical problem, with foreign pieces in there, or broken pieces in there, maybe a bent valve. The CEL is probably throwing up because if you have incomplete combustion or leaking combustion, the oxy sensor is reading the unburned fuel and telling you. Don't keep cranking, because you're probably punching more holes in the pistons.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i'm not trying to make you feel stupid,

but did you put the plug wires back in the same order?

i wonder if spark plug contacting the piston head could have possibly fried the coil pack.

i'd sue pepboys over that. it's not YOUR fault that they gave you the wrong spark plugs. and it's exceptionally sad to hear that such an awesome engine (best you can get in a focus) is messed be due to the ignorance of the highschool drop outs at pepboys.

is the car still under warrentee? maybe pop the old plugs in and have it towed to a stealership if you can't get it on your own. have them just tell you whats wrong with it.

anouther scary thing that could have happened is that if the piston was hitting the spark plug hard enough to break a chunk off the plug, it's possible that you could have bent a rod, or broke the piston ring which would create no compression.

however you said it won't turn over at [email protected]? i hope it didn't bust the piston ring and got a peice lodged in there which would have effectivly made the engine seize.

-- leave it to me to give you the worst case scenerio!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
It sounds like the engine isn't turning at all so there may be a chunk of metal obstructing the piston. I would call the manager at pepboys and tell him/her what happened. It's not your fault they gave you the wrong plugs but then again they might say something like "well didn't you compare the new plugs with the old ones to make sure they look the same" or some crap like that. I would do what WD40 suggested, pull that plug and shine a flashlight into the hole and see if there is something in there. That really sux man, hope it all gets worked out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Im not knockin you but this is why I never buy stuff from auto zone or pep boys cuz they always manage to give me the worng part!!! Same thing happened to me but I caught it before I put the new plugs in. I hope everything works out. And I think you might have a case against pep boys ya never know!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is a good question... Why are you even messing with the spark plugs on a 2004? It can't even have that much mileage on it yet. The factory Motorcraft spark plugs are double platnums and will last 100,000 miles.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
hahaha... at least she has a broken car now [hihi]

If my girl leaves me, i'll be sure to cut some wires and hoses quick [}:)]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
RedDevilST said:
^ His girlfriend probably left him

doh! [?|]
Or killed him! [:D]