Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on empty and decided to put half a tank of gas but the gas guy (yes we don't pump our own gas in NJ) selected the wrong gas(87)... Am I going to have problems because of this?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Well I was on empty and decided to put half a tank of gas but the gas guy (yes we don't pump our own gas in NJ) selected the wrong gas(87)... Am I going to have problems because of this?
Really he should drain the tank & put the right octane in. Does he have any octane booster? He should give you a bottle of it & fill it up the rest of the way w/ 91-93 octane.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. Yah I might just mix the octane grades...i was researching things about octane boosters and some comments were that it fouls up your engine more.. Not sure how true that is

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Mix it for sure, that'll help a LOT.

Just take it a bit easier until you run this mixed tank out, chill on the full throttle runs for a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah.. Just filled up the rest on 93..i only drive the car once or twice a week so..i guess I'll have to use it more to get the brew out.. Thanks for the feed back

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
bottles of octane booster only raise the tank by 0.1 octane. practically no effect.

you did right by filling the rest with 93 ocane and take it easy. a 50/50 blend is 90 octane. run half the tank out and refill with 93 and you'll get 91.5 octane.

the car has a knock sensor, so it will pull timing to protect the motor.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I assume you have a tune that requires higher octane? Fill it the rest of the way with premium, try a GOOD octane booster, and drive carefully. Car might ping a little, but one tank a little weaker than needed shouldn't hurt too much.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
SVT section post, so answers prev. given assume the OP has one despite it not being specified in his "what I drive" info..

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I've known people with SVT that never ran anything but the cheapest gas they could find. So I don't one tank will cause any harm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mix the half a tank of 87 with half a tank of 91 and take it easy with the throttle. As long as the engine isn't under a large load it should be fine with a little lower grade gas.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
There are a couple octane boosters out there that do actually raise the octane a significant amount. Still think it's only about a point per bottle (per 10 or 15 gallons), but it's more useful than that other stuff that really doesn't do anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts