Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may sound weird, or just plain silly, but I'm curious...

The WRC cars have a very distinct sound...the STI, EVO and Focus all sound fairly similar, but what makes them sound this way? http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-5365459729795254787 <~ BADASS VIDEO, btw.

I want that sound....

..wouldnt mind that handling either! [;)]

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all, the Subaru is a flat 4 rather than an inline 4, then there's the huge turbo with 34mm inlet restrictor, and the anti-lag system (which injects raw fuel just ahead of the turbo in the exhaust stream, the heat makes the fuel burn, which violently keeps the turbo spooled. Bad on a street car, okay when you're replacing the turbo every event anyway. Then there's the fact that WRC drivers tend to shift pretty early, maybe 5500 rpm or so, and the fact they left-foot brake and flutter the right foot on the gas.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am very aware of the flat 4...

..Im asking what part of that combo gives that distinct sound...

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have that with a magnaflow straight through...

...I dont *think* it sounds like that...hmmm...maybe I need someone to do a flyby for me.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have any sound clips?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I'll do a flyby for you

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
sick video. is that a rally impreza without decals or an extremely modded street sti or something i don't even know about?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ian, Im sure you would! [;)]

The STI is a true WRC STI before the logos and such....

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
gobstopper said:
First of all, the Subaru is a flat 4 rather than an inline 4, then there's the huge turbo with 34mm inlet restrictor, and the anti-lag system (which injects raw fuel just ahead of the turbo in the exhaust stream, the heat makes the fuel burn, which violently keeps the turbo spooled. Bad on a street car, okay when you're replacing the turbo every event anyway. Then there's the fact that WRC drivers tend to shift pretty early, maybe 5500 rpm or so, and the fact they left-foot brake and flutter the right foot on the gas.
Actually its not a flat four, its a horizontally opposed boxer engine. I think an un-corked STi is probably even better than a VR6 sound. [thumb]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts