Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some exhaust wrap for my shorty headers and I have plenty leftover. Is it alright to wrap the power steering line with what's left? Does this hurt anything?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I wouldn't use exhaust wrap, i've been discussing this issue with a buddy with a turbo RSX, he has reflective gold heat tape from ThermoCool he used on a few of his lines, I haven't had a chance to search anything on it, but he said they have gold and silver. It's like a reflective heat "tape" that you can wrap the lines with. I'd look for something along those lines, exhaust wrap on something that small in diameter might become a mess....

Something along these lines: http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/cool_foil_tape.php

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Nope, should be fine. It would insulate just about anything. It even works well on aluminum tubing on a cai.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sorry Cliff, lol.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Haha, no problem, the guy with the RSX also spent about 2400$ on Volk's and probably 8000$ on a Full-Race Turbo Kit....it was probably just bling.... haha!

·
Registered
917 Posts
You might also try wrapping some tin foil, shiny side out, over the header wrap. That will reflect the heat very similar to the heat tapes. I'm not sure how well it would say in place, however. Maybe a little glue at the end?

·
Registered
758 Posts
The glue probably wouldn't be effective, as temps rise, the glue would simply melt, the header wrap is suprisingly strong on keeping temps cool, after having my header wrapped, I can literally grab my header after driving for a while...it's good stuff.....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i have a long-tube header and was thinking of wrapping my PS line with something. i might try the header wrap and see how that works out. right now its bent out of the way but gets very hot.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
you have any pictures of ur wrapped shorty? Interested in seeing how you did it compared to how i did mine.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
5if you wrap up ur headers, SVt headers, then you shouldn't have a problem with ur ps line... i wrapp up mine and im not having with a problem with my ps line at all... but then i used about 130ft of wrap on the header.... copper

-----

if any one is looking for that Tape from Thermo Tec.. i got a new roll of it. the heavy duty one.

i was going to wrap my ps line but i couldn't really figure our where to wrap it so i said SCREW IT! now its just sitting here.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i do have the svt header, thats good to know about the PS. i was just worried about it b/c it gets really hot down at the bottom close to that small radiator hose

·
Registered
698 Posts
I need to figure out what to wrap my PS line in. It looks like crap and is turning white and grey.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
me too, i was thinking of useing some of that shiney metal tape for lack of a better name. i would wrap the ps line and the little radiator hose

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a question I got a haeader and was ondering if I should waste the time in wrapping it to how much does wrappinghelp in taking away the heat and how long does it last. Whats a good brand to use

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
your kinda thread jackign but who am i to speak, it isn't mine....

well if you got hte svt header i would personal myself wrap it up. not just for looks but it really does cutt under hood heat down ALLOT! if you do a good ass job on wraping it. it will last almost as long as ur header. but your gunna ahve to spend a bit of money on the silicon spray and do it right... im thinking about 3 cans. that is where i went wrong.... thinking only 1.5 can will be enough... i should of done all 3 on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll post pictures of the headers when I get my camera back. It is good stuff. I too can grab the headers for a good second before they're too hot. I have another question though. Should it smell kind of funny at first after putting the exhaust wrap on? Just curious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts