Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off the top of your head does anyone know how much the gaskets for the header (both ends) would cost? Im looking to wrap my headers soon before a car show and im gonna need to replace both the gaskets if i pull the headers. I cant find a price on any websites including FordParts...

I need gaskets for both ends. 2004 SVT....

Or for any of you fellas/ladies out there that have wrapped the headers do you know how much (about) it costs with wrap, gaskets and whatever else. I know the wrap itself is ~$40.

Thanks for the help.
Joel

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gracias mi amigos! Wrapping will be done this week.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
i would get a header-engine gasket and reuse the header-cat gasket

·
Registered
209 Posts
i have resused both multiple time with no issues

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can get 100ft of wrap off eBay for $20 I found when I was looking people were saying fiberglass exhaust wrap is fiberglass exhaust wrap your only paying for the name. And then seal it with the silicon spray. 100ft did my header, orp, and flex with 3/4" overlap

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Why can't you wrap the headers in the car. Seems enough room?
I had painted the header to exhaust pipe tipes on my Contour SVT and have to say ot mattered.
The whole exhaust is still in good shape after 12 years of Norhter winters snow salt.. and all.
The Focus ehgine bay gets pretty warm, and i plan on wrapping the header to cool it down.
So i have not done that before..
So i Ask why can't i just do it right in the car engine bay?
(it does not have to be show quality, just a good working job.
(i would use the titanium stuff)

·
Registered
814 Posts
All you people that are considering wrapping your headers please do some research first. It will void any warranty you might have on your header. It collects moisture and destroys the header. It retains too much heat and with the moisture will weaken the metal and the welds. It is really intended for race only applications. Invest in a good ceramic coating instead.

·
Registered
84 Posts
All you people that are considering wrapping your headers please do some research first. It will void any warranty you might have on your header. It collects moisture and destroys the header. It retains too much heat and with the moisture will weaken the metal and the welds. It is really intended for race only applications. Invest in a good ceramic coating instead.
That's what the silicone sealer is for mines been wrapped for over a year beat on hard and is perfect the car is driven everyday including Chicago winters and that with fiberglass wrap

·
Registered
814 Posts
^^You can't see what's happening under the wrap though. If it's so great why does every header manufacturer void their warranty if a header has been wrapped? It will take a couple of years for the header to start rusting through, so just give it a little longer.:)

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Stainless rusts depending on the alloy, just a lot more slowly.

Anyway, does anyone still have a warranty on their SVT?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Anyway, does anyone still have a warranty on their SVT?
Once again, you miss the point. I said header manufacturer not car manufacturer.[nutkick]

·
Registered
113 Posts
FWIW - I've seen what happens to some headers that have been wrapped. One day you pull the wrap off and your header comes apart in sheets of rust. That's because you will always have some condensation that collects. This is burned off when not wrapped. But wrapping holds the moisture in longer and as a result you get rust. This may have more to do with your locale than anything else. know it's pricier but consider header coatings. There are products such as TechLine or Swain coatings that allow you to coat your own headers if you do not want a commercially available product.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts