Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wrap up questions...---More pic of Sprayed

hey people i just got done wraping up my headers, i dried wrapped it.

but any ways... im moving into my flex pipe, and i was wondering....

for who ever wraped up there flex, did you wrap up the flex part of the pipe? or just the pipe itself, and not the flex??

i tested wrap hte whole thing, including the flex part, and when i bend it... alot of movemet occurs...(but the movement im making is nothing the engine well ever make)

-Bunna

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
looks good, im doing the header swap too. mine is scheduled to come in tomorrow. i bought mine from hilbish ford and mike is going to wrap it and plug my egr bung up (i disabled my egr). my car ran SO much better after i disabled it.

i was thinking of wraping the cat and the flex. ive heard it helps scavege the exhaust better. let us know how it worked out for you.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
what kind of wrap is that? That's looks really good.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
dont wrop the flexible part that will not alow for movement which is what it is designed for but other than that great job

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you can wrap the flex part, it will move just fine though it may crack the wrap after a while

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wrap i used is a Copper wrap by Thermo Tec. i bought the wrap from JSC. it was cheaper then other places....

----

I've spent a number of days wrapping this header.... i just didn't want to hurry my self and do a half ass job and skim out on the layers.

---------

Thanks right now the flex is all wrapped up, like the one in the picture. but i think i might try to do each end of the pipe and then just have the middle sprays up, when i coat it?

whats the best bet for this? if im trying to help the scavege..... (wish i had enough mula... i would wrap my whole exhaust)

------------------

p.s. - im not quite there with the install yet, im still trying to find a mig welder or someone with one i can use..... so i can weld my flanges on my Hi-Flow Cat that im making.... instead of buying a R/t.... saves allot of money, but i gota work it a bit.; if i can find anyone i guess im gunna bring it to someone to weld it for me, along with the o2 sensor holes.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
im getting a stock svt cat for $105 shipped, and a flex for $100

both are 2.5, pretty good deal from what ive seen. i called the dealership and a stock svt cat was going to be like $2000 SERIOUSLY!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought enough wrap to do the header, but never considered the flex-tube.

hmmm, now you have me thinking. I guess if you wrapped the solid part of the flex tube and left the rest that you could achieve a similar effect. I just don;t know the benefits of wrapping that far down the exhaust system. Hey, I'm no expert :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i was thinking the same too, plus after i wrapped it up, and started to flex it in a extreme way.. the wrap over the flex would loosen up.

i came to a conclusion that im going to just wrap up the soild parts and not the flexy part. and when i finish my cat, ill wrap that up as well.

-------------

to wrap this all up, i bought 3 rolls of 2 x 50 . and 2 cans of copper spray.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks good, make sure to get the coating, It makes the wrap last alot longer, i got it at autozone for like 8 bucks.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i hope if yoru going fi, you get metalic.... better on heat... thats why i didn't ge tthe stock svt one....

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've read other posts saying DON'T wrap the cat. The heat kept inside from the wrap may burn it up

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
maybe ill give it a coating of spray then? i don't want to chance anything.... thinking of it now, that is going to be allot of heat in that little pipe.

but anyways here is my header wrap sprayed up....

^^^^ yeah my dog was checking it out tooo

·
Registered
975 Posts
i wrapped my flex and it came undone after about 3 months.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts