Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been really busy lately and haven't had the time to change my oil. I decided to goto one of those "drive through" oil change places during my lunch break. I drive up and they ask me to top my hood, turn the engine off, etc. They check all my fluids and everything seems cool until the service manager guy comes out.

Manager: "What kind of rims are these?"
Me: "They are stock SVT wheels..."
Manager: "Hmm what size are they? They look like they are 18s."
Me: "No they are stock 17" wheels."
Manager: "Ford never put 17" wheels on a Focus. 16" is the biggest you can get."

So now I get into an arguement with him and I am trying to explain what SVT means to this guy and he looks at me like I have three heads. Apparently he needed to know what size wheels it had because he wanted to check the manufacturer's reccomended tire pressureor something. I told him to not worry about it because he obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

Then the manager looks under the hood and spots my Cool-Flo and asks me if it's supercharged.... I never thought that a Cool-Flo intake would look like a supercharger or something but ok. Thankfully the guy that was doing the oil change said "no that's just a cold air intake". Close enough.

I never thought people so... ignorant could be in such high places of work. Not that a manager at a drive through oil change place is something to hold really high but still- someone like that shouldn't be in that enviroment in the first place!!!!

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
LOL why didnt they think to look at the size on the tires??[8] One would assume thats a good place to get a decent answer.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He did after he obviously didn't believe me about the SVT story.

lol I forgot one other thing- After he inspected my "supercharger" he saw the "Powered by SVT" and stared at that for atleast 5 minutes.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Wow.... Just wow....

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
You should have said, "Youre right, Ford didnt, SVT did", lol

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
I never thought people so... ignorant could be in such high places of work.
Welcome to my world! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a story just like this!!

I go into the actual Ford Dealership shop that they have their that they work on all sorts of ford cars. There was me, and 4 other guys talking about my car. Me and this one guy was talking about my SVT, and the guy that had been helping me for a while said "now is that the ZX3 or ZX5 version of the SVT focus"

I said, "its the ZX3"
A guy next to me says, "they only made ZX3's of the focus."
And me and the other guy say to him, "no, they didnt, they made a 5 door also"

We go on with these three guys for easly 10 mins about how there is 5 doors. They went to saying that any of the 5 doors were focus drivers that "made" them into SVT's but they werent SVT's. I told them how in 2002 there were only 3 doors, but in 2003-04 there were 5 doors also and said the colors they were in.

THEN they started saying how they were only made in Blue, Black, Red, and silver...

Things got really crazy when i brought up the Euro Aperance Package. one literaly said to me "there not was in F[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ing hell there's one of those" after i told him how they had Euro rims, HID's and all leather and racier seats (recardo?).
They really started getting mad about the whole HID portion. They said that only Mustangs had them, and i told them that the first Ford car ever to have them were the SVT Focus's... plus the damn mustangs didnt even have them either!
I told them, "I think i'd know since i own one, and am on FocusFanatics.com with thousands of other SVT drivers. I think i'd know."

I mean really... Its the actual FORD DEALERSHIP AUTO SHOP!!! A registered SVT dealer. honestly, what the crap?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had a similar experience when I went shopping for a car.

I did a lot of research before purchase, and I knew more about the models, powerplant, and trim packages available than the salesmen did.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
After working as a car salesman for quite a while, you would be shocked at how very little anybody in the business seems to actually know about cars.

Of course, that's helpful when you need to get excited for a customer on their "awesome" purchase of a PT Cruiser or V6 Mustang Auto Convertible. I didn't have as much success in the business because I definitely knew too much about and cared too much about cars. It's hard to steer somebody into a Kia when you actually know what's worthwhile. And since customers think that all it takes is 15 minutes with "Consumer Reports" to be an authority, they don't like it when you try to change their minds or start talking about ridiculous qualities like "steering feel" and "fun". It's just to frickin frustrating to endure...

·
Registered
183 Posts
lol! i'm just laughing... i could see you telling some like 40 year old woman about the steering feel and cornering fun and chasis....Then she points at some random Kia and goes... well, i like the color blue. What cars do you have thats blue? hahaha. Sorry, thats just what i thought of when you said that Carrera!

P.S. i'm having some troubles sending them via e-mail... then my computer crashed so i havnt been on for a while. Sorry Carrera!

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
And that's why I don't go to drive-thru oil changers.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I crawled under there last night and took a look around. Everythin appears to be ok. The guy that was doing the work seemed pretty competent... it was the manager that was a clown! lol

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I've had some Ford employees get that "WTF" look on their face when I mention SVT as well.

That's pretty much it, Sonic. Especially the younger girls, the car could be on fire, but if it's cute and has the holy trinity of color, CD player and sunroof they would still buy it.

Most annoying though are the "experts" who just spent half a day on the internet researching. You simply can't convince them of anything different, especially because you're just a slimy salesman trying to steal their money.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Venom713 said:
Things got really crazy when i brought up the Euro Aperance Package. one literaly said to me "there not was in F[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ing hell there's one of those" after i told him how they had Euro rims, HID's and all leather and racier seats (recardo?).
i think that is the SAP (Spanish Appearance Package)
[hihi]

**added**
Carrera26 said:
Most annoying though are the "experts" who just spent half a day on the internet researching. You simply can't convince them of anything different, especially because you're just a slimy salesman trying to steal their money.
nothing wrong with getting what YOU want and the only what you want in a specific color... orange [:D]

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Ive found alot of people that work at oil change places dont know how to do anything but change oil. (Not all of them) I never take my car anywhere anymore. One day I was getting my oil changed and I heard an engine reving up and I went outside and it was my car. THe Retarded Oil guy was reving the crap out of my car. I was SSOOOO MAD! I had a little talk with the manager and Got a free oil change.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Venom713 said:
They said that only Mustangs had them, and i told them that the first Ford car ever to have them were the SVT Focus's... plus the damn mustangs didnt even have them either!
aaaaaaaactually, the Mach Audio focus had em first! ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts