Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As I recently posted in another thread I'm starting a new job Jan. 1 and my yearly commute is jumping from around 1250 miles to approx 22,500 (almost all freeway) miles .

I currently have a Ford Excursion 6.0 that gets about 14 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph so I need to purchase a commuting car and I've narrowed it down to the 2012 Ford Focus as meeting my needs.

When looking at the CarFax it seems like a majority of the cars I've found have been owned by a rental car agency...would you have any reservations about purchasing an ex rental car? If so, what are your concerns and anything specific to watch out for???

I will be new to the Focus family but I've been a long time Ford owner. Thanks for your insight!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
You might be able to land a new one for the same money with incentives right now. I was in the same boat a few months ago and got a new 2014 SE for 15233 out the door. Used 12+ ones were real close to the same.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My Focus was a rental. It had high mileage for a year old car (33,400), but it was clean and well maintained. I did have to put front brakes on it (rotors were warped), but other than that the car has been great. And no transmission problems.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would not hesitate in purchasing an ex rental car, most are maintained better than retail owners do.
Not sure on the purchase of a 2012 Focus though, it would have been in the fleet for a long time by now.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I would not hesitate in purchasing an ex rental car, most are maintained better than retail owners do.
Not sure on the purchase of a 2012 Focus though, it would have been in the fleet for a long time by now.
This^^^^^^^^ They should have the '13's if not the '14's shortley.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Pass on the 12' and go for a 13' or 14'.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got a '13 sedan that was rental. Only thing it had a lot of was scratches on the interior trim but nothing that took too much from the experience. Also had two rims that were scratched, looked like they had clipped the curb. After only a few hundred miles a sensor went out that was covered under warranty. Other than that, I haven't had problems with it, just the clutch makes noises here and there but Ford states that's normal :/

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I work at a dealer and see alot of ex rental cars. They seem to be good mechanically, but not good at all visually. Not what I would want with a 1 or 2 year old car. (paint not taken care of, interior and exterior scratches, etc.) However the same can be said about many preowned cars.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I recently rented a minivan from a major rental company. I told them I planned on putting 4000 miles on it assuming they'd want to change the oil before I picked it up. I picked it up and saw it's oil hadn't been changed in 10,000 miles. Front bumper was also loose from probably hitting curbs. Myself, I'd avoid purchasing a rental car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This^^^^^^^^ They should have the '13's if not the '14's shortley.
Thanks for all the responses...nice tip on the newer model years coming online, I'll start looking into those as well.

I've noticed in the CarFax reports a lot of the dealer ex-rental cars have been purchased at auctions. Seems to me that I might try looking into that option as well. Anyone out there have any experience with buying a car at an auction?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for all the responses...nice tip on the newer model years coming online, I'll start looking into those as well.

I've noticed in the CarFax reports a lot of the dealer ex-rental cars have been purchased at auctions. Seems to me that I might try looking into that option as well. Anyone out there have any experience with buying a car at an auction?

Thanks again!

Those are usually for dealers only.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
^....what he said. I've been late to the table this whole thread on responses lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
In addition to looking into an auction, some of the rental car companies have their own sales sites in certain locales. I see you're in Arizona. Enterprise has three locations: Tempe, Tucson, and Peoria.

Enterprise has an online site as well:

www.enterprisecarsales.com

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Mine was a seized car taken back by the bank...

Most likely a beat up car (when the person knew it couldn't afford the car payments anymore) but anyway had a good deal :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'll throw my hat in the ring as an owner of a former rental car. I picked my '12 SEL up last year as one purchased from auction by the dealer then sold off the lot. I was able to great a fantastic deal because they were struggling to move inventory and the interior needed a good deep clean.

As a bonus it has never had work performed on the transmission (I'm at 53k miles now), and I am experiencing few to none of the typical DCT problems.

The one upside to a rental car, as others have said, is that agencies will fix a problem if it comes up immediately because they have the cash to do so. On top of that, if it seems to drive well after being a fleet car, it's not probably as likely to experience as many mechanical issues....Mine was a rental in the LA area and it has no mechanical or exterior cosmetic defects...

·
Registered
39 Posts
My shop has enterprise car and truck rental agency inside. EVERY 3k oil is changed, and all maintenance is taken care of. I'd buy from enterprise any day!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all for the great advise!

The Enterprise location in Tempe is right on my way to work, I think I'll stop by this week and talk with them. On their website they list a "no-haggle" price...are the prices firm or can I haggle?

Also, they list some as "last chance", I'm assuming these are not selling and about to get sent off to auction. Seems like I could haggle over price with these vehicles, anyone know for sure???

·
Registered
319 Posts
My parents have bought nothing but 1 year used rental cars for the past 10 or so years now.

The dealer they buy them from told me that Ford does 1 year leases to rental car companies, after that year, Ford takes them back and sells them to Ford dealers only, at auction.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts