Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to gauge general opinion on this. Let's assume that a diesel is for sale in the US and Canada and it gets 50+ MPG. Would you buy it?

I would say maybe depending on my financial situation in the future several years down the road. Or maybe I would get an ST!

[ffrocks]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Since I just bought a Focus three weeks ago and did 100% finance including a few grad extra financed in taxes and extended warranty.. i am not gonna be buying a new Focus for a little while.
(though i just might flip for a ST... never know...)
But if a Focus HAD been available with a diesel and cool sport tune and 17" or 18" wheels and all that... yeah. i WOULD have bought it..
I almost bought a VW diesel, except every one i know the owner, they really smoke. (burn oil) bad. And the VW rep is not so great as of late.
So woulda coulda shoulda yeah i woulda if I coulda and Ford shoulda had one already.
Now they also should have the ST same as planned (cool exhaust, seats.. )with a 250hp 300Ft lbs torque and 50 mi per gallon diesel option. with a solid six speed manual.
Now then i really would go upside down to buy it for real...
So:
Build it and they will come.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would buy a diesel, for sure, so long as overall performance was on par with the current engine.

One of the cars I considered was the Volkswagon TDI. Lease deals on it are terrible, though. Also, their dealers are [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]s, I never even managed to test drive one because their dealers are super pushy and, as soon as I scoffed at their high lease rates, they were trying to get me in to a Jetta.

ITS GREAT FOR THE PRICE OF GOOD.

[:)][:)][:)][:)]ers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It would really depend on the real-world fuel economy that would come from it. Since Diesel gas costs more here in the USA, I would want to see at least 42mpg combined fuel economy since the current gasoline version gives me a combined 33.4mpg currently. It also depends on the cost, since a Diesel may cost more to buy, you have to compare the fuel economy numbers to the increased cost to purchase.

On the flip side, Flexfuel people may not realize that if the fuel economy numbers are really bad with E85 gas, you may end up spending more money on gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If a diesel was available, I would certainly have went that way. Even if it meant not having some of the Ti features that are standard.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I would totally buy a diesel. A tiny engine with ecoboost? Right up my alley. Too bad I just bought a new car, I don't think I could afford to trade in this car for a while... [:(]

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i recently spent some time in europe and drove both a golf tsi twin turbo petrol engine and a renault megane wagon turbo diesel.

i much prefer the golf engine... quieter, doesn't smell at all, more responsive (could be engineering and not gas vs. diesel)

nothing against diesels and those who want them but not for me thanks.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It is the same thing with a manual transmission.
I would NOT buy a car with an automatic.
But the choice of manual transmission cars is limited. Even the Focus. No manual on the SEL or Ti.. What is up with that?
So same thing with a diesel. No DEALER wants to take a chance. And the DEALERS are Fords customer. NOT the retail customer. So if the DEALERS do not want it, it ain't gonna happen.
Same thing with options and car color.
Finding a YELLOW Focus.. You would think i was asking for the moon... Then the frosted glass color? manual tranny with sport package? not. can't even order it.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
possibly, if the tech is simple enough. I like my mechanically injected diesel, so simple. very few wires needed, just the glow plugs, and a single wire to the injection pump. a monkey could repair my truck.

I would require a manual. automatics are over rated.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
I don't buy new cars(because I try to never spend more than I have, and I don't have much), but I would definitely keep an eye out for used diesel Foci if they existed here.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Depends on how much more it costs and the maintenance requirements. I also looked at the Jetta TDI, but the high price and the $500+ timing belt replacements every 60,000 miles scared me off. So, a reasonable price for a "real" diesel (I owned a 1981 Olds Cutlass Diesel and it was good until the el-cheapo TM 200 transmission blew at 80,000 miles) that has a gear or chain driven camshaft would be attractive to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No thanks. I don't drive enough in a year to pay the extra expense of the car initially then paying for the more expensive fuel. Most of my trips are 10 miles or less. If I drove 20K miles a year, year after year maybe.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
50+ mpg in a Focus that doesn't look like one of these poorly designed hydrib prick-mobiles? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts