Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really looking I MEAN REALLY LOOKING AT THE CAR this morning I noticed that one of the vac lines is unhooked I have a picture but I dont know how it came out. picture came out pretty clear this is where you guys always say the vacuum line fails and the whole i/m has to come off I've also included a picture of the inside of the tb I dont see a crack anywhere. also the inside of the throttle blades are dirty again.........and I also can't find what controls the tumble flaps.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Are you talking about the rear PCV hose?

A small hose clamp might do the trick there. just don't over tighten it.

·
Registered
17,501 Posts
Could easily be leaking there............

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Eh.... that trick doesn't work well for me. It's a throwback from a bygone era when carbs had 50 vacuum lines. The method I was taught was to spray starting fluid, but that wouldn't really show you where it was- just the general area. A better method was smoke, but few people smoke any more. A big could of vape might do the trick. You still ended up removing and examining lines, so IMO, you might as well just do that especially since newer cars have more like 5 vacuum lines. I can only think of 2 on a Duratec- PCV and brake booster.

I'll have to give you a picture of what controls the tumble flaps later today. It's under the intake manifold, sort of round, and it has a rod connected to it that goes to the intake manifold, but I can't remember if you can see where the rod goes into the intake manifold from above.

Since you're out of warranty, install a catch can on the oil breather line. I used a plastic generic fuel filter where both of the hose outlets went into the top of the filter at a 90 degree angle from the top. It uses 5/16 inlets, and you'll need a couple of small hose clamps. That will solve the problem of the dirty throttle body which is probably more important for you electronic TB owners than those of us who have steel cable connections.

·
Registered
17,501 Posts
'we tried the ol carb spray trick and the idle didnt change.'

Bad thinking to reinforce more bad thinking............no thought for tomorrow at all there. Why not loosen all hoses on the car and place them like that? Or where that statement logic ultimately leads.

Don't fix it until AFTER it says melts a piston............you'll go far in backyard engineering college.

A second look at pic reveals that with no bulge in outside of angled hose that the hose size picked there is probably too big (and possibly too short) and how you got there to begin with.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Stupid Iphone wouldn't take a decent pic after dark, I couldn't get it to autofocus on the right spot- even with a flashlight. It is not easy to see from above, but you can if you know what you're looking for. Will probably still need a flashlight. There might be a pic on here in Tumble Flap Delete threads. Stay tuned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts