Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kenwood 4 channel amp its a kac-746 not sure how on the wats rms or peak. Im not sure if I want to hook it up to my speakers out of fear of blowing them and I dont know if it would be worth it.

my 2 speakers upfront are rockford fostgate
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...y_id=14&item_id=112887&locale=en_US&p_status=

and in the backs I have
audibahn speakers no idea what kind they are[dunno] Got them for free from some guy walking by my house so I took them on the magnet it says 120 watts max its a coaxial 4 way speaker black with 2 silver tweeters on it.

Would it be worth it to even install an amp, would it improve the sound quality or just make it louder. And Where could I learn how to install a 4 channel amp to my speakers

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
probably improve both. and you can blow speakers with even stock HU.

signal clipping is very destructive to speakers and a properly set up amp shouldn't blow your speakers unless you over drive them.

*signal clipping happens when the amp can't provide enought power to do what your asking it to do so it "clips" the top of the sin wave.

RMS is basicly max power before it will clip. peak is a fully clipped signal. peak power is worthless imo. RMS is what to look for

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright so adjust my gains correctly is what your saying? and would there be anyway I could set up the amp without having to take off all the body panels and re-wire the speakers?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
you wont need to take off all the panels just most of them.

and yes set the gains correctly and listen for distortion, ect.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^Like he said.

KAC-746
RMS ratings ~
35w X 4 @ 4 Ohm stereo
50w X 4 @ 2 Ohm stereo
100w X 2 @ 4 Ohm mono bridged

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
wire it at 4x2ohms should be fine at that, just adjust your deck right and listen for distortion just like they said, if you wanna play it safe wire it at 4x4ohms.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys im probably going to play it safe with 4x4, does anyone know how I could install it without having to take the door panels off to get to the speakers? or where I could find a how to on setting up a 4 channel amp I have never done it before

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
not sure if this is proper. but i set the hu volume to about 3/4th the way. put on a song and turn the gain up till you get distortion then back it off a little. then your should be safe, but some songs are louder then others, ect.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright Ive heard about using a blue speed wire that hooks up to your head unit instead of rewiring all of the speaker wires up to your amplifier does anyone know about this

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Go from the amp to the stock wires up front.

At 35 wpc you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
yeah just run the wire from you amp to your speaker wire behind the deck

·
Registered
57 Posts
CLIPPING kills speakers. Equalizers cause clipping. Cheap amps and pre-amps (head unit) cause clipping. Big amps reduce clipping AT THE SAME volume levels, and are LESS likely to blow your speakers. It is the same thing everyone else has said..... go for a bigger amp, and don't use an Equalizer to make things louder.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
equalizers dont cause clipping if set right. if you know what your doing it will help all around

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
just get a 4 chan with a decent eq built in. Will save you time, money, rca's, power and ground wire and the headache of finding a place to stash an eq.....just saying because I am running out of room for extras.... but hey that's just my humble opinion...

I mean, I running an old Sherwood 4chan with no eq except the built in one. Has crystal clear sound all the way at max volume. Only problem is an alternator whine you can hear only when the volume is all the way down at "0". That will probably be fixed by the big3 later on.. Not an urgent fix...not bad enough to become a priority yet...lol.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^I hope that you are not implying that a pre amp EQ is bad.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
an eq is all about sound quallity, it will help with clearing up distortion and everything but if not done right can hurt the speakers. getting a 4 channel amp with a lpf/hpf would be a good choice for a novice. you get a 4channel amp doing 100x4 and run 4 tweets off of your hu and a 1500watt amp with a single 12 or 15 sub you will have a great sounding system. hitting around the mid 140dbs cost you around $2000-$4000 depending upon the brand and who you know. upgrade you alt batteries 1/0 guage wiring and 8guage speaker wire for the sub 12 gauge for the door speakers and 16 gauge for the tweets. run a seperate power and ground for your hu to help keep interferance from other electronics out the way. a 10 farad cap with a digital volt meter to run both amps off of. and you have yourself a beautiful system.
in the end your talking $5000-$6000 stereo that will sound wonderful and looking great.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
All I can say is that I love my deck's built in EQ

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts