Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to spend ~500 dollars on messin around on my 2001 Focus SE with the STI engine(manual). Its my first car, and its lots of fun to drive!
(Even if the auction ended, input is great because I can always buy retail)

Shifter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...8QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33736QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It says its only for zetec, but arent the two very similar?

Air Intake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-...6QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Again, Zetech. Would this be money well spent? 205 is a lot, and there are a slew of cheaper cold air intakes out there.

Exhaust Kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APEX...ryZ33630QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Same with above, worth it?

Gauge Cluster
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000...33675QQitemZ8077015935QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Its my understanding that I can plug this right in, and get myself a tachometer..

Anyway, after a few super long links, any other input is welcome; I just wanted to get my hands dirty with this thing, as I've never modded anything on a car before. Thanks [thumb]

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I know the intake would. Aem is a good brand. the exhaust is iffy because you can nevery really know how well the welds will hold up. and i cant see the gauge cluster.

the one thing is with the shifters. I am not too sure if it have the part to let u go into reverse.
so it looks good[thumb]
Logan

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Shifter - No

Intake- yes but it will require a little force but will work fine.

Exhaust- no its made for the hatchback only.

Cluster- it says removed, but any cluster from a 2000-2004 will fit no newer model cluster will fit.

Welcome to FF, dont do all your searching on ebay there are a few products made for the SPI and not many are on there. Check the goodies list it has most everything there is for the SPI.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well heck if hes got a STI in there, where can i get one, lol

Welcome to the Slowest cars on earth.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
SlimShady said:

I WILL WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP SO HELP ME GOD!!!!!!!!!

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
SlimShady said:

No, geo's are slower, along with old Tempo's and a few other cars.

Hell my SPI beat a Celica GT

·
Registered
207 Posts
SlimShady said:

STI engine swap for the focus - now that would cool!

Slim, dude come on. The SPI has a decent amount of power with just a few breather bolt-on mods like mine. I know this because i can spin my wheels like crazy on the dry, and thats saying alot since my tires are W rated and still plenty of tread left. However, a limited slip would definitely help that! If the SPI were capable of putting that power to the ground it would be alot faster or at least comparable to the entry-level economy car from most if not all car manufacturers.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
A little word of advice about those cheap no-name parts...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. The only thing I would advise you to get is the intake. Save the money and get the Focus Central short shifter and FocusSport or Magnaflow exhaust.

These are the best places Iv'e found to purchase the aforementioned upgrades

Focus Central Short Shifter

Magnaflow Cat-Back

Focus Sport exhaust

·
Registered
329 Posts
i would go MBRP for exhaust. Its cheap but its a beast. IMO it sounds the best to

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
CWBoarder691 said:
i would go MBRP for exhaust. Its cheap but its a beast. IMO it sounds the best to
What's this? The MBRP sounds better than the Magnaflow? HA! Look at me! I am all giddy with laughter! HAHAHA! [hihi] NO! NO! IT DOES'NT SOUND BETTER! [?|] IT DOES'NT! [?|] IT DOES'NT! [?|] AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!![paranoid]

·
Registered
329 Posts
Easy their scooter. dont get your panties in to much of a twist. its got a deeper more agressive and again Its IN MY OPINION

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've installed the short shifter from new edge and the AEM CAI. New Headlights on the way. Pics if req. Question though..

After I installed the intake, when I use the AC/Fans, I hear this loud vibrating noise (really loud with the hood open). Im thinking this is that little hose that connects to the intake. Any ideas? I rarely use the AC but if it is an actual problem, want to know.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree, MBRP is a good exhaust for our focus, focaljet agrees too ... very highly rated for under $300 ... and definitely NOT a off-brand as some have inquired about; truck exhaust company ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts