Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone would be good enough to measure their Ford Motorcraft serpentine belt on their 04 SVT I would really appreciate it. I'm having issues with aftermarket belts lately. I bought one from Rock Auto and it caused the tensioner to clack. Thought it was the powdercoating on the water pump pulley so I grinded it off. No luck, then thought it was the new tensioner I put on, replaced that with another aftermarket tensioner still a clack but not as often. Then remembered I changed alternators to a regular Zetec instead of the 04 clutched alternator pulley which is .5 in" larger in diameter. So went back to original clutch style alternator. Still no luck, well I'll be damned if a friend of mine didn't install an aftermarket belt on his 05 Dodge Dakota, with the stock tensioner and guess what clack, clack, clack. So what in the hell is going on with aftermarket belts? I was hoping someone would measure a stock 04 SVT Motorcraft belt for me so I could see if the aftermarket belt is the same length. We double checked his part number too and know he was sold the right part it just wasnt a mopar part. I'm starting to think aftermarket belts are shi+ or they are just getting sizes close enough and not dead nuts on. So I'd appreciate any info any body can through my way, thanks again!

·
Registered
84 Posts
When ordering parts its important to tell them the engine code (5) other wise the look up parts for the first 2.0 they see I was told this by autozones commercial accouts headquarters. I'm running a super small alt. Pulley with no problems with a new belt ordered as said

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah believe me, I know the vin code 5 is the SVT. And I've tried two different belts by two different manufactures that are supposed to fit the SVT. However, they still make the tensioner clack(two different new tensioners). Thats why I was looking specifically for a measurement on a factory Ford Motorcraft belt and no aftermarket stuff. I wanna know what the real problem is here. Thanks again to anyone who will take the time to measure their factory Ford belt for me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answer Shaddow. That will at least give me something to compare it to. If anybody has an 04 and has the time, I'd really appreciate it, if one of ya'll could measure that too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I dunno for sure. I thought the 02-03 SVT's had a regular pulley vs. the 04's clutched alternator pulley. I dunno if Ford changed the belt length to accomodate the .5 inch difference in the two pulleys. Thanks again Shaddow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts