Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do resonators actually reduce the noise level? I have a ZX3 with header back exhaust and a supercharger. Yes my car is obnoxiously loud. Will a resonator actually reduce the loudness significantly or would it not even be worth it?

[???:)]

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
probably not worht it I would think. My friend has a Spec V with Nismo header, Nismo exhaust and no cats. It was very loud and droned terribly. WHen he installed his resognator (a big one by the way) his car actually got louder under acceleration but quieted down slightly and I mean slightly under crusing speeds. He didn't like it. SO he actually installed a high flow muffler in place of where the resognator was. I don't think that is very good for performance, but the car quted down quite abit and sounds alot better, not nearly as raspy of buzzy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think it'll be worth it, seeing most cars come with them for a reason. They do work. I previously had a Ford Taurus, and had mine removed and replaced with straight pipe when I had the exhaust system replaced. It wasn't more than a week later when I was back at the muffler shop because my car sounded more raspy and definitely more annoying from the resonating sound in the interior. Once it was installed again, it made the drive much more pleasant both in and outside of the car.

Also, do you know what kind of resonator your friend installed? If it was a "Cherry Bomb" or "Glass Pack" one, of course it won't reduce interior/exterior noise!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
To clarify...you are running catless with either a shorty and ORP or race header?

I'd say it'd be worth it. I have an OBX 4-2-1 race header with a SVT Borla catback which has a resonator, and I describe its volume as just on the border of being too loud with a very nice tone (which is a result of the excellent Borla muffler), its very tame at idle and during normal driving, but wakes up when you flog on the throttle.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have a borla muffler too and will probably look at getting one then. Two posts positive to one negative wins! Just kidding. I would like it to be quieter around the 2500 to 3500 rpm range. I think it will work for that.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
ive still got a R/T resonator for sale if your intrested

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i put a magnaflow resonator in with my borla muffler after i put in my race header and right now it sounds perfect nice deep tone and fairly quiet.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the R/T resonator sound Poney? And how long was it used?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention, I've got a 2.5" exhaust. I'd like to keep that width in the resonator if possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts