Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam looking to get a nitrous system, and after some looking arround and reading up on some old threats, it seems like everyone is recomending a WOT switch to activate the Nitrous. In my mind its more fun though to activate it with a button and have it spray as soon as you hit the button, not waiting for WOT. I will still have a window switch as well as a fuel pressure cut off switch. Would this be save??? And if not why is it better to have a WOT switch??

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The WOT really is a good idea ( maybe why we all run one).. You can still use a button to activate the spray, it will only spray at WOT< much safer, and WHY would you EVER want to spray at partial throttle anyway???

My system:
1.) Bottle has to be open
2.) switch has to be on
3.) and I have to be at WOT
4.) Plus, I have all the safeties, why not?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
, and WHY would you EVER want to spray at partial throttle anyway???
So you can do this to your intake.

[ohcrap] [giggle] [rant] [screwy] [clap] [:)~]
Don't mind me, I'm an idiot

But I tried the WOT switch plus button route and the button is not very practical. Think about it. Where would you put the button that isn't going to be distracting. If your going to use the nitrous, I believe all your attention should be on what's ahead of you. And if your thinking about putting the buttons in your steering wheel. You might want to think about that again. Cause your wires will have to wrap around the steering colum and that's not as easy as you think. The guy who designed how the wires for your buttons on the steering wheel don't get tangled was a genious. But make sure you think it through. Before you drill holes in your steering wheel for the buttons.
Like I did.
[duh]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am actually thinking to do:
1. bottle has to be open
2. switch has to be on
3. button has to be pressed (on steering wheel)
4. and I have to be at WOT

So basically i want an extra button on the steering wheel that needs to be pressed to activate the nitrous. I just want this extra because i am mostly doing road racing on a track so i might not want my nitrous to kick in when I am in corners and corner exits. I just want it to kick in when I am on a straight. I could do that with another button right? And would this be a safe setup? I will also be getting window switch and fuel pressure cut off

@Rabbit: Good info. I was actually thinking about putting the button on my steering wheel control in the picture you can see the seek function i am thinking about using that button, its really easy to reach with one finger. I have an after market radio so I am not using the control anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I ran nitrous more than a year with the microswitch and the rpm switch both working together.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sounds like a plan. As long as you've thought it through. If your not using your buttons then go for it. I only have my cruise control buttons and I use them, so I didn't have that option. I say go for it.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Interesting....as long as you're NOT doing this to feel like Paul Walker in his supra (j/k)...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Since we are on the subject of nitrous what nitrous kit would you recommend for the duratec? Viney i think u have a duratec right? I know someone on here sprays with the Duratec but cant remember! Is Zex wet system the way to go? They offer the throttle position sensor option which sprays at WOT so no buttons to push.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Interesting....as long as you're NOT doing this to feel like Paul Walker in his supra (j/k)...
Paul Walker FTMFW
And I ain't joking
He bought a Nissan Skyline GT-R after doing #2, so he's my home boy.
Fast and Furious 4[clap][clap][clap]

But back to the subject
I like NX, but it's a matter of opinion.
I say if you got the extra money for the zex, go for it. But don't skimp on the other safety feautures, or you'll have a repeat of that picture farther up, and I'm not talking about the steering wheel.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol I will keep that pic in mind. So is the ZEX system better/safer then the NX. I only like the NX because it comes with nozzles for 35, 50, and 75, and since Iam not planning on getting a tune this year i was only gonna run a 35 shot for now. The ZEX kit comes with 55, 65, and 75 as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I believe your right, but if I'm not mistaken you may need a tune for your svt even for a 35 shot. I ran a 50 shot with no problems w/o a tune, but that was on the standard zetec. You may want to look into that a little more if you haven't already.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am pretty sure i wont need a tune up to a 50 shot, but i will give Tom a ring about that in a bit. So why do you like the ZEX better then the NX??

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I am actually thinking to do:
1. bottle has to be open
2. switch has to be on
3. button has to be pressed (on steering wheel)
4. and I have to be at WOT

So basically i want an extra button on the steering wheel that needs to be pressed to activate the nitrous. I just want this extra because i am mostly doing road racing on a track so i might not want my nitrous to kick in when I am in corners and corner exits. I just want it to kick in when I am on a straight. I could do that with another button right? And would this be a safe setup? I will also be getting window switch and fuel pressure cut off

@Rabbit: Good info. I was actually thinking about putting the button on my steering wheel control in the picture you can see the seek function i am thinking about using that button, its really easy to reach with one finger. I have an after market radio so I am not using the control anyway.

^^^ That would be fine, its just a little more wiring, that's all.

As to kits? I"ve installed MANY Nos and NX kits and never had any real complaints. They work well and last.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts