Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know that the volant is what most prefer for an intake or CAI's in general, but remember I drive an automatic so im not really going to be anything fast. So for looks and a slight increase in hp is this aem sri worth it for the price? I mean its like 100 bucks cheaper than the volant or an aem cai.

ebay item #150028707109

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The only major difference between the two is the airbox...gains will be roughly the same once you get moving, but heatsoak will be a problem on hot days (underhood temperature can get pretty high in the middle of the summer...I recall Tom at Focus-Power had a thread on here about measured intake air temperatures up in the 200 degrees range after sitting at idle.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
thats not a bad price for NIB, i had an AEM SR, and i liked it fine, there are two versions i believe though and one is supposed to be better than the other, i think the latter is the one that uses its own mount for the MAF

·
Registered
958 Posts
i have an aem sri and no problems w heat soak...granted, where i live in canada, its fairly cool 8-10 months a year...even in the middle of the day idling in the sun [8]

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mofocus said:
thats not a bad price for NIB, i had an AEM SR, and i liked it fine, there are two versions i believe though and one is supposed to be better than the other, i think the latter is the one that uses its own mount for the MAF
so which is the better? the one that uses its own mount for the MAF?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the difference between these two models is one retains the stock position of the MAF and the other model moves the MAF...am i correct? So I will ask to see if these move the MAF from the stock location. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turns out the kit im lookin at moves the maf. Question, im lookin at either getting this or getting V6focus's slightly used k&n typhoon short ram for 135 shipped. I would get this in a heartbeat but its blue, do you think it would look ok in my car which is gold? or is it worth it to get the polished aem for 160...im kinda leaning towards just getting the k&n from V6focus cause it sounds like a sweet deal. There shouldnt be a difference performance wise between the two should there?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I first got an AEM, the gains were good when the car is quite cool or the temp outside is low; once everything gets hot, hell, the car got slower. Now i got a FS Cool Flo, the gains are the same at any time w/any temp; the heat shield and a better filter does the job. I wouldn't recomend a CAI 'cause of so many bad experiences told on this forum. I've heard that the stock SVT box does a quite good job. Againg, keep away from SRI's.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im in michigan tho, yeah it gets hot every once in a while but its not as hot as down in florida. So for what I need it for I don't think it will be a problem.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The engine bay allways get hot, whether you want it or not. SRI's dont do anything to change that, they just suck hot air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts